1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC or Prog Scan DVD player? (Newbie Question)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by owenw, Aug 13, 2003.

1. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ,

I'm new to the HCPC's although have been a PC system builder for years.

I'm planning to get a CRT projector for my home cinema system and I'm considering building a HCPC for DVD playback.
    For now that's all I want it to do (don't need PVR / MP3 or internet access etc.) although I might add these features at a later time. I'm also considering installing a capture card to watch Sky Digital on the PJ but this is secondary to watching DVD movies.

Would it be better to buy a high end progressive scan DVD player /deinterlacer / scaler or build a HCPC in terms of Picture and Sound quality?

Also I understand there is some issue with lip sync when using a deinterlacer/ scaler such as dScaler or the Holograph3D card???

I already have an AV separates system which is great but I want the best picture quality for the PJ.

My initial goals are to:

(1) Have de-interlaced, line-doubled video output to CRT PJ.
    (2) Output digital audio stream to AV amp for 5.1 decoding.
    (3) Have full remote control using a Pronto remote

I'd be grateful for your advice,

Thanks,
    Owen

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Owen,
    In summary, you need to know the sweet spot resolution for the projector you are considering.

I'd say if the projector really will work best with only line-doubled 480p/576p resolution then get a mainstream progressive scan DVD player.

I'd only bother with a Video scaler or HTPC if the projector/display makes better use of 720p, 768p or higher. This really improves NTSC DVD's, on my Barco I had a look at 480i via S-Video and it was really horrible!

Also a Scaler or HTPC will be useful for analog video sources, like game consoles, tv or laserdisc, which a progressive scan DVD player won't help.

I also like using the HTPC as a music jukebox, but that wasn't really part of your questions was it!

regards,
    Rob.

3. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply Rob,

I'm not sure which projector I'm going to get but most likely to start out I'll go for a Sony VPH-1272Q to and then move on to a Barco. I don't want to blow up a pricey PJ :)

I've a feeling if I built a HTPC it would get used for DVD, analogue video, MP3 playback etc.

I've seen interlaced s-video on a few projectors too, and it's not a pretty sight!

Owen