1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ChrisAllenFiz, Jun 14, 2002.

1. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Having decided to trty to go down the MicroATX route for a HCPC, and looking to put one together for as little as possible, I am looking at getting the FIC fusion AT31 motherboard with on-board Radeon graphics and an AOPEN h300 case. Anyone got any opinions on this setup, or know where to source FIC motherboards in the UK?

TIA

Chris

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure, but 5 minutes on Google turned up this:
    FIC UK
    Unit 5, Network House, Arundel Road UB8. 2RZ, Uxbridge, Middlesex,
    England
    Phone: 44-1895-810812
    Fax: 44-1895-810814

WilsonChu@fic.co.uk

Give them a ring and ask for distributors - the web site doesn't seem to be running, though.

Looks quite an interesting idea - couldn't turn up much on it, though - it doesn't seem to be listed on FIC's Taiwan site:confused: - be interested in how you get on.
    R

3. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have emailed them already, as well as StakTrading, who seem to stock some FIC stuff but not the AT31. It is on FICs taiwanese site, under the news section. More detials are on the US site. If only the motherbaord had and SP/DIF out it would be perfect, but I don`t think it does. Should be able to get a low profile Sound Card though. Definitley cheaper than my other option of a shuttle S50 and a PCI ATI card.

Chris

ps. Just got "Delivery failure (wilson_chu@fic.co.uk)", no such domain".
    Argh!. At least I have the backup plan of buying from www.outpost.com in the states, but its expensive (100 quid + customs for a board that retails for 70 quid in the states)

4. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just built a MicroATX box with a 1G Celeron, generic Radeon ve, and a 60g HD all for about £350-400.
    I didnt use the integrated sound (No spDif) or graphics (not nice at all) and the MB doesnt have LAN onboard (stupidly).
    My problem now is to get it quiet. I havent found a quiet uATX power supply so Im planning to open up mine and replace the 60mm fan, next will be the CPU fan. The Radeon ve (£30) is fanless and the Seagate HD is silent and recomended.
    Im a little short on PCI slots, but onboard LAN would have helped, but otherwise Im dead pleased with it, and doubt Ill be building a full ATX machine again - given that I have a machine crammed with storage elsewhere on the LAN.

5. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, after seeing a couple of reviews, and thinking about it some more, I have decided to go with a generic motherboard with an AGP slot and a Radeon 7200. I`m not sure that the integrated one would have the build quality to produce a great image (could be noisy).

I Have also changed my case to a Yeong Yang because it can take full height cards, as I couldn`t find a decent low profile sound card.

Ordered the case, now just got to finalise the motherboard(chaintech 7sid, ECS 830CF or similar) , processor (probably a 1G duron) and memory (256 should be enough shouldn`t it?)

Chris

6. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sound like sensible changes to me, the Yeong Yang case is well constructed and cute but expect to have to deal with PSU fan noise unless youre hiding it. If youre handy with a dremel then theres room in the box to hide an IR receiver for remote control too. Only bad point (apart from the noise) is the the DVD half covers the cpu fan with my Intel MB, but cooling seems to be adequate having run it now for a month 24/7.
    Full height PCI will definitely make the box more flexible as will an AGP slot - well worthwhile for the small extra cost.
    256M RAM is fine for me with pretty much the same functionality as you listed under Win2k.

7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    256Mb should be fine. If you're going the AMD/Duron route, you might want to consider the ECS K7S5A or K7S6A motherboards - they both have the SiS chipset - apparently the VIA chipset has caused problems with stuttered playback. Cheap, too (£43 or £45 + VAT) - try http://www.ebuyer.com (memory etc cheap there too).

I bought a K7S5A for a recent PC (not HTPC), and it was fine - supports the Athlon XP processors, too. Several people on the boards are using this MB for HTPCs.

HTH

8. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is the fan on the PSU a standard size, or is it non replaceable? Ideally I would like to replace the fan, but I wasn`t sure with these small PSUs if its possible. Alternatively, I could look to swap out the PSU, anyone know where to get a quiet SFX PSU from?

Chris

9. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

Hmm. Aren`t these ATX rather than MATX? The Yeong Yang is a MATX case, so ideally I`m looking for an MATX mobo with a SIS chipset, on board lan, an AGP slot and 3 PCI. A rare beast indeed it would seem. (7SID has all but the lan, and others only have via chipset)

Chris

10. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'Beg pardon, Chris, I hadn't realised/clicked you were still going MATX. What about PSU for MATX? Are there any that are OK for an AMD processor? If they are, then I may be tempted myself to go that route.
    You're right re finding a board with that combo - I think all MBs should have LAN - must cost pennies to implement.

ECS K7SEM has LAN and external AGP (and internal, but we can ignore) but only 2 PCI. LAN is on a header thing, so it will take up a slot in the rear of the case. Only supports SDRam, though, not DDR.

11. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The MATX power supplies are Ok for the majority of users. Maybe if you wanted to put in a GF4 in the thing it might suck up too much juice. They are generally rated at between 145 and 180 W, which shuld be enough for mobo, grpahics, sound card and TV capture. There is a thing on AMDs web site telling you how to calculate what wattage you need based on your components, and the above seemed fine for the Yeong Yang case PSU.

Chris

12. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris
    I havent tried it yet, but the PSU on my Yeong Yang A101 box is rated for a P4 which I think makes it OK for your Duron?
    The PSU is constructed with screws and the fan appears to be a standard 60mm job - the YY box has space for 1 extra 60mm fan but my celeron certainly doesnt run too hot ~40C. I havent taken the PSU apart yet so Im not clear how easy it will be to replace. Its noisy enough to annoy me, but not so noisy that my fat bottom has actually left the sofa yet (=angry couch potato)!
    I used a gigabyte MB Intel chipset with AGP and 3x PCI and it has been rock solid. I dont use the on board VGA or Sound.