1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC is too loud. Pardon? TOO LOUD!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by StooMonster, Jul 2, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The other week, I built a PC for my plasma. CoolerMaster ATCS-600-VX2 Desktop Frosty Green (there is no accounting for taste) with CoolerMaster Aluminium bevels for drives to look nice, ThemalTake Volcano 10+ for processor set to minimum level level, Radeon 9700Pro has Zalman Heatpipe fitted so is silent, Aopen mini-ATX mobo has a fan on nForce2 chip; but it’s too noisy.

The case has three YS-Tech 60mm x 12mm fans, and the mobo has a tiny fan. How can I make this quieter, because I consider it too loud for music playback or DVD viewing but is okay for web-browsing or gaming.

Any help appreciated.

StooMonster

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    LOL :rotfl:

OK, it's the quietest PC in the house -- but Mrs StooMonster said she didn't want a PC in the living room. :nono: But as soon as the new mystery silver box was running, she knew it was a PC from the noise. :(

I got the impression that these things were quiet, but it's noiser than any plamsa 'hum' or any of my other AV kit.

Also, you can hear the hard disk; whereas you can't hear the one in the Sky+ box ... hrm?

StooMonster

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. You don't say what CPU you are using;

Suggestions;

a) Bin the YS-tech fans. They are always too loud. Can you not fit one 80mm panflow fan (fluid bearing) in there? otherwise try pabst. They make quiet fans.

b) Remove the motherboard fan. Replace it with a passive cooler. Zalmann do one for abuot £12 (Zalman chipset cooler).

c) Put the biggest and best heatsink on the CPU you can fit in the case. Try Thermalright SLK-900U (fits Athlon and pentium 4) and will take up to a 92mm fan. If you find the CPU temp is too high with NO fan on the CPU and just the case fan, fit a quiet 92mm fan on the CPU and run it slowly.

d) Quietest Hard drives are seagate Barracuda V. Get them from www.overclockers.co.uk for 120GB for about £80 ish.

e) Try UNDERCLOCKING and reducing the CPU core voltage to make it run cooler and hence need less cooling / less airflow / less fan noise.

f) Check out the PSU you have. It may be too loud. It may be a special PSU so I don't know where you can get super-quiet non-ATX power supplies. You might want to investigate changing the PSU fan for a quieter one by pabst or panaflow but don't blame me if you elecocute yourself or fry the PSU.

HTH
    J

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    John_N, thanks for the great suggestions:

a) CoolerMaster HTPC case fans are little 60x60x12mm fans, I don't think 80mm will fit unless I start drilling screw holes in case. I have Papst fans in other PCs. Any idea where to get them smaller size? I've checked out http://www.quietpc.co.uk/ but their quietest 60mm fans are 25dB.

b) I was unsure about mobo fan/cooler as it's nVidia nForce2 and I was unsure that Zalman Silent Motherboard Heatsink fitted; the nForce2 is a slightly different size to a VIA northbridge. QuietPC say that it fits all motherboards though.

c) I use a giant Thermalright heatsink on one of my other PCs. They are good. This HTPC uses ThermalTake Volcano 10+ and I have potentiometer rather than thermometer, and have it set to minimum (sounds almost silent)

d) I have the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 160GB 8MB Cache with FDB Fluid Bearings, so it should be pretty much same drive as Sky+. Wonder why it sounds noisier than Sky+ v2 in it's plastic case? Perhaps NTFS is noisier than FAT32? Could consider changing to Seagate I guess, think I've got Seagates in another PC.

e) CPU is a 2800+ I could underclock it, but I don't think heat is an issue. I think it's the side fans in the case (point a) that make the noise.

f) I have a Zalman "silent" PSU.

's definately the side fans in the case, and maybe the tiny mobo fan.

Definately helps, cheers

StooMonster

PS: Zalman Silent Heatpipe Video Card Heatsink ZM80A-HP (large) is an excellent piece of kit.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Stoo, try disconnecting the side fans and monitor the temperature to see if it becomes a problem.

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Stoo,
    Check THIS out you can buy them from HERE
    As for the case fans try zalman fanmates avail from HERE as for HDD noise try a Seagate barracuda V drive they are silent.
    The CPU heatsink & fan can be replaced with a Zalman flower cooler again all but silent my HCPC emits the faintest of hums when you get up close that noise is mainly from the PSU but is bearable (i'll be looking for a quieter one very soon)
    HTH.
    Tim.

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    you could always run the case fans at 7volts or even 5 volts. that will help, all that's involved is a wire-swap on the molex end. You wouldnt need to buy new ones then.

9. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Go to maxtor.com and search for the AMSET utility - this will allow you to set the level of 'accoustic management' the drive uses.

10. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My northbrige fan in my HTPC is the cause of the loudest noise too. What about a Zalman northbridge block? If you don't overclock you should be alright.

I think www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk have them here:

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/productinfo.php?codeid=800761

I have one but since I overclocked my processor I've been a bit scared to try it. Maybe I will be brave if the noise really starts to bother me. Thus far I can't say its been an issue but the rest of my case is basically silent. The only other fan I have is a pabst 8cm (or is it panaflow? I have both but I can't remember which one I fitted :) ).

Oh, and my power supply (Enermax) has two fans but its by far the quietest PS I've ever owned so I didn't even bother changing the fans in it (that's why I have a spare 8cm one).

11. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try larger fans with lower rotational speed, they shift more air and are quieter.

The 7v fan mod will also help, you just need to re-wire the fans between the +12 and +5 v power lines, this gives you 7v, which is enough to run the fans but will be quieter. I wouldn't run them at 5v though, most fans will not start from less than 6.

You could also investigate acoustic padding.

12. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The zalman northbridge heatsink reduced temp by 2 degrees beow the standard northbridge hs/fan on my KT266A Athlon XP desktop.

This was off the northbridge face, using a dual case temp readout, which I put on any pc i'm trying to quieten, to ensure I don't cook anything in there!

regards,
    Rob.

14. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would investigate the possibility of disconnecting the Northbridge fan. If you're not overclocking you should be ok. Good case ventilation will also provide it with some cooling.

I'd replace the CPU fan with a 92mm Papst or Panaflo. Unless you can afford the one which fits 92mm fans, I'd just disconnect the old fan and secure the 92mm one with cable ties etc. Works well for me.

Case fans - 5- or 7-volted Papst/Panaflo 80mm models should be sufficient. If you're happy opening up your power supply (make sure you know exactly what you're doing) replace it's fan with one of these. When you next buy a PSU find out how efficient different models are - more efficiency=less heat.

Also, I find mounting the fan outside the PSU (on the back) reduces the noise. I use a bit of blu-tak to mechinically isolate the fan from the PSU chassis and elastic bands over the top of the PSU to keep the fan in place. Not particularly neat but it works!

Seagate Barracuda's are very quiet compared to other hard drives but they do vibrate a fair bit, transmitting noise through the case. A Novibes III drive cage isolates the drive from the case and fits in a 5.25" bay.