1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC - How?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jenz, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur,

You need to take the VGA out from the Marvel into the Seleco. You are NOT going to get quality improvement via S-Video.

Same goes for the TV. You need to get a VGA connector to your Seleco. In order to progress we need to know what resolutions the Seleco can support. A good starting point would be 800x600@60hz if the Seleco can support it.

What connections does the Seleco physically have? My Barco for example has 4 x BNC with separate sync. Yours may be similar. So I therefore have a VGA cable from my PC splitting into the 4 x BNC connected to the proj. Once you have this setup you can begin to increase the resolution and increase the refresh rate. To do it properly you'd need to get hold of a Radeon or Geforce 2 MX graphics card for additional clarity and timing resolutions to hit the sweet spot of the Proj.

With a HTPC you do NOT use the TV-Out of the card, you use the VGA this is why (in the UK at least) HTPC's are normally only used with Projectors (Jeff's Loewe is an exception).

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers jenz,
    Ah well, that's the end of my experimentation then! As I said, I'm just killing some time. The Seleco has 5 BNC inputs, but it's not Data grade. Well I said I was a beginner didn't I? [​IMG]

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 13-03-2001).]

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur

Maplins sell a VGA to 5 BNC converter cable for £19.95 which should get you up and running. Provided your projector can handle 31.5 khz (line doubling) you're in business. The picture even with just line-doubling will be superb, it's just the ergonomics of messing with a PC to watch a film that get's to be a pain.

Regards
    Gary

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Gary,

Arthur has a "Video" Standard Seleco310 I think, so the beauty of HCPC and scalers etc is out of reach.

Arthur, the only thing I can think you might try to ge a better picture, without recourse to changing to a higher spec unit, is to get some s/h Glass lenses.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm off work for a week, so with a bit of time on my hands, I thought I'd have a play with this HCPC malarky. My PC spec is:
    AMD Athlon 850 cpu, 256meg RAM, Matrox Marvel G200 AGP (only 16meg memory) Hitachi GD 2500 DVD-ROM, Soundblaster PCI 128 Legacy.
    Running Win98SE. I'm also using Power DVD.
    The Marvel graphics card has a 'breakout' box with audio, composite, & S-V outputs. I thought it would be a simple matter of connecting the S-V out to the S-V input on my telly. (trying with the telly first as it's right next to my PC) There's obviously more to it than that, 'cos I'm getting zip!
    What do I need to do chaps?

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies chaps. I'm not unhappy as such with my pics, but as always have one eye on an upgrade [​IMG]

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com