1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC Display?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ukbubs, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope I'm OK posting here - the crt forum seems more focussed on TVs as TVs rather than as hcpc displays.........

I want to go for CRT - ideally RGB COMPONENT - NOT COMPOSITE - OOPS! :oops: input with progressive scan - I've found a source for vga to compONENT cables.

Anybody got any suggestions?

2. NinjaShredder

NinjaShredder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you mean composite (a single plug). Perhaps you mean component (3 plugs).

A CRT TV with component input requires the color to be output from the HCPC as Y Pr Pb, rather than R G B.

A VGA port will normally output R G B, unless your graphics card is clever.

Powerstrip would probably be needed to produce the correct timings, as a TV is limited in what it can take. You might be able to make 576 line progressive, over component. Or even 1080i for something like the JVC 32D40.

ATI radeon with component dongle will be able to output US timings, such as 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

A composite connection (a single plug) will only be 576 line interlaced, and blurry as hell.

A simple cable such as in the 'VGA to Scart cable' thread, with powerstrip timings for 576 interlaced, could give better results than S-Video.

The simplest is always S-Video, from an S-Video graphics card, as any resolution is scan converted to 576 line interlaced.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What NinjaShredder says is all correct. My solution to this is to use an ATI component congle (£28 delivered from the US) to connect my Radeon 9600 to my Toshiba 36ZD26P via component. This gives me a progressive scan picture at a resolution of 856x480. This is perfectly usable for a desktop and gives a great picture for DVDs.

Not too much hassle really, you need to use powerstrip to correct the overscan that comes with the standard timing of 480p, but its easy to do. If you were not using a desktop (just DVDs and maybe a frontend for other media) you wouldn't even need to correct this overscan, in which case its just plug and play.

HTH
    Owain

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you mean to use your TV as the display device for your HCPC,a solution that works well is to use a Sigma Designs X-Card as your DVD player and an S-video connection from your display adaptor to the TV for the HCPC desktop display.

The X-Card provides a very high quality ouput to your TV,and a much better display than running DVD's via a PC display adaptor....I've tried the latter on my HCPC with a Radeon,and via the RPTV,the X-Card is miles better....the situation is different with plasmas and LCD's,where a good display card is more versatile and more appropriate than an X-Card.
    It also provides component video out,and SP/DIF out.
    An added benefit of the X-Card is that it does all of the decoding etc in hardware and thus imposes a negligible processor overhead on the PC.

May be worth a look,and certainly works very well on my UVEM HCPC.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

5. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - 'composite' was a slip of the keyboard - I was wondering why nobody was picking up on the post.... :blush:

I'm planning to use the hcpc purely as that - with xlobby as the front end, zoomplayer/ffdshow/sonic decoder, using an x10 remote. TV etc will be routed through the hcpc (hauppauge 350, with a digi card to follow), so there is only one interface to grapple with. The only software piece I've not yet decided on is which pvr to use....... but I'm waffling (good at that!)

Video card is radeon 9600xt (sapphire ultimate - silent. :cool: )

alexs 2 - I'll look at that card - looks good - I've never come across it before. I've already spent a fortune oin hardware, so I may end up sticking with making the hardware I've got work................ Another noobie Q: what is an RPTV?

Ninja & Owain: Now I understand what the ATI dongle is for - it soudns like its most important function is putting out a Y Pr Pb signal rather than RGB component.....

I've already dipped my toe in the swamp which is powerstrip - I'm just waiting for the bits to arrive in the post before I make a cable. The old pioneer tv I'm using as a mule has s-video in (Top of the range circa 1994!). The picture isn't too bad once I crank the colour settings up, but the limitations of an interlaced 50/60hz (it seems to accept either) are suddenly very obvious.

The Toshiba 36ZD26P was already in my mind as a possible...... Aren't there now also CRT models available in the Uk which have a native resolution of 1024 x 768?

Given that I'll probably stick with the radeon, is 1080i or 480/720p going to do me better? I'm thiking that 'i' is bad, 'p' good. Am I right?

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Exactly that :)

Quite Possibly there will be some newer CRTs that can accept that res, not had a look at new ones for a while. One thing to bear in mind (and I'm just being pedantic here;) ) - CRTs don't really have a "native" resolution, they are able to reproduce any resolution within a set "band" of acceptable combinations of factors: vertical refresh rate, horizontal frequency, etc. Playing with the custom resolutions on powerstrip when I got my component convertor made this clearer for me: I could increase one parameter at the expense of another, to put it simply. Don't really understand all the ins and outs myself but getting a rock steady prog scan picture with no over/underscan was simple enough just using trial and error.

If you can find a domestic TV which will accept 1080i/720p then that'd be best, I'm not sure I fancy your chances though. On the whole 'p' is better than 'i' (progressive rather than interlaced) but some people prefer the extra detail in 1080i and it is generally considered better than 720p.

HTH
    Owain

7. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owain

Very useful and much appreciated - time to do a bit more searching on the crt forum and then post another q when I've digested your post.......

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    ukbubs.....the X-card isnt horribly expensive(I cant remember current prices but shouldnt set you back too badly!),and RPTV is short for rear projection TV.

It's an excellent option for TV based displays(the X-Card that is) as it's specifically aimed at TVs,and the picture quality I think you'll find very good.