1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC dilemma

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ally, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am about to construct a new PC for use in our living room and in conjunction with our TV (Panasonic 42" plasma) Probably using S-video. The uses for this are as follows, in order of importance.

1. Surfing the net
    2. Using as a VCR with NTL cable
    3. The odd bit of gaming
    4. A music server

I plan to construct a wireless network using my existing PC and a broadband router.

Here is the dilemma. I really like the idea of the shuttle SFF units but they only have 1 PCI slot and I am figuring I need two. One for a tv tuner card and one for a PCI WIFI card. I dont really want to have another hulking great tower and the decent looking desktop cases that would blend with the rest of my kit are a bit pricey.

Proposed spec
    AMD XP 2200
    MSI KT6 FISR motherboard
    2*256 PC3200 DDR
    Radeon 9600
    Haupage pvr250
    Samsung 80gb IDE drive

What are the best options available. Would a shuttle and an AIW card do the job of a PVR?

Thaks for any help

Ally

2. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could use a usb wifi device instead, freeing up the pci card for a hardware based tv tuner, the hardware mpeg2 capture give the nest capture quality.

the ati cards are known for good quality tv-out so you should be ok there.

have a look http://discuss2.snapstream.com/vb/ and search for 'what capture card' should give you some info

---------------
    My HTPC
    HW:
    Duron 1.6
    256mb ram
    120gb seagate
    shuttle case
    Nec dvd writer
    SW:
    Windows XP Pro running Object Dock as interface,
    myHTPC
    BeyondTV

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would use your VGA socket on your plasma rather than the svideo!

4. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the shuttle sb65g2 has inbuilt wifi (and so does the the special edition reflexion pc - also the wifi kit can be bought seperately from www.kustompcs.co.uk). However, this is only 802.11b - i'm personally waiting for it to speed up a bit so that i'll be able to stream movies/tv from my server.

Alternatively as you say you could buy a radeon aiw card (admittedly this has no-where near the same tuner quality as that of a digital dedicated tv card), depends on what level of quality you want really.