1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC & cpu's

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by SLIM, Apr 27, 2004.

1. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK realy eazy Q whats better for hcpc
    INTEL are AMD

( 1 ) Intel Pentium 4 "Prescott" 2.8GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail £129.19 here is spec ---->
    ( The new Intel® Pentium® 4 processor at 2.8GHz with an advanced 800 MHz system bus offers higher levels of performance, creativity and productivity. Based on Intel® NetBurst™ microarchitecture and built with Intel's 0.09-micron technology, the Pentium 4 processor delivers significant performance gains for use in home computing, Hyper-Threading Technology, enabling you to multitask. Prescott edition features a huge 1MB L2 cache for improved performance whilst SSE3 extensions have been added and further improvements made to HT and Netburst technologies make this a far more efficient and awsomely fast processor.)

( 2 ) Intel Celeron 2.8GHz - Retail £88

( 3 ) AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2500+ 333FSB (Socket A) CPU - Retail £59.63

what you guys think
    PS i know amd is a lot lower in price but i wont something thats not going to keep crashing andheat is all so somthing im thinking about
    any way let me know thanks

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have an AMD Athlon in my UVEM HCPC....owned it for nearly a year now,with no crashes,freezes or any other nasties.....both the processor,and especially the PC manufacturer highly recommended.

3. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ok i think im going to go with a.

AMD Athlon "Mobile" XP2500-M (Socket A) CPU run's cool as its only 1.45 volts thats nice

4. tHatDudeUK

tHatDudeUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    intel is best bet if worried about fan noise or heat but amd's chips are improving.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Certainly it seems from some tests that Intel chips are safest if over heated...they simply slow down or shut off without damage,but the AMD's also work fine within their thermal limits.

With an HCPC,noise is going to be one of your biggest problems,so overclocking and all the associated cooling isnt necessarily a great idea....just a suitably quick chip,and a decent silent,or almost,cooling fan...mine has a Zalman in it,and the most noise seems to arise from the HDD and occasionally the DVDRom when it spins up initially....that's another area to consider,and the Liteon drives seem pretty good in that respect.

Ask a few others here,and I'm sure you'll get far more advice than I can give!