1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC Case - Would a LCD/VFD be useful??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Jan 24, 2004.

?
  1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm looking at purchasing a decent case for my all in one setup (PVR, CD, DVD, MP3 etc.) I've looked at the Dign cases but either they're too long in depth (454mm!) or just don't look that good. I've now come across the Strata case manufactured by Stands Unique - see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=879218#post879218

I've suggested that a VFD unit would be useful for displaying information such as CD title, track, DVD time left etc. etc. oh and the time which is missed from the VCR!

Would this be a useful extra, or am I just being picky??

Cheers,
    David.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've bought a UVEM HCPC,which has one of the ATC Coolermaster cases.....very nice quality for a PC case(something my wife commented on!)and no displays on the case at all....we didnt want anything like that,as both of us find it distracting(and the Tag's display can be dimmed/turned off)...the TV is currently used as the desktop for the HCPC,although I can also feel a LCD screen coming soon.

3. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Interesting. I suppose it's all down to the individuals’ personal preference.

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Over 100 hits and only 8 votes...........

5. Ivan8192

Ivan8192
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've played around with an Itron VFD with the intent of displaying the track info etc. I think it's very desirable if you're going to use the machine for music playback without having the TV on. Fairly easy to get track names etc. if you use WMP for CD playback and PowerDVD for DVD playback using the Girder plugins. I don't know what the situation is for other players. Must admit it's not actually in a case, just sat on top of my desktop tower. I've been looking around for a mini-itx case (small!) that could have it mounted on the front panel...

Ivan.

6. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope your not being picky, I'd want to be able to display CD track info so you could play cd's without turning the telly on.

Alterative would be for someone to design an external housing for a VFD..some kind of nice wee shiny box.

If you hide your gear away in a cupboard you could still have the VFD box on display and possibly have your IR receiver inside it as well.

7. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for voting guys.

I agree that's it's useful for displaying info without having the TV turned on. Not sure about external housing as it's not really a neat solution.

David

PS Keep voting please!!!!

8. curry-kid

curry-kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to store all my CDs on the harddrive (uncompressed or lossless compression). Then use my remote control to browse the music files on the VFD. This means you can play music without turning the TV on. Also display the band / album / track / time info while the track is playing.

Have read a thread on www.avsforum.com (subject: LCD Master) where a guy uses his VFD to do all this and more.

Cheers
    Chris

9. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Curry-Boy,

With all due respect, I think you would find it hard to navigate a sizeable music collection via a remote and VFD. You would do better to wall mount a small LCD screen so you can see what is going on.

However, if you do think on a usable solution, please let me know because I have a VFD in my Dign case, and would love to find a use for it.

Cheers

Rob

10. curry-kid

curry-kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pulsar,

I have had a hard enough time convincing my wife that I need another "ugly box" in the lounge, without wall mounting a TFT on the wall next to the sofa.... :)

I take your point that the display is quite small, but I think it would still be useful for displaying track info. I have a pronto remote, so I could possibly put all the album selection on there. The downside of that is that I will have to mod the pronto everytime I add music on the HD.

Are you not displaying anything on your VFD yet ?

Cheers
    Chris

11. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Look what you can do with a PocketPC/Tablet PC and Netremote