1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC cable hell please help!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by newstuart, Jul 31, 2004.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Guys your suggestions please on the mass of products below and how to connect

1)living room
    PLASMSA (at present connected by 20mtr SVGA lead to hcpc)

all in one DVD/amp with spare digital input and 3 stereo leads

PS2

video

PRONTO TO CONTROL ALL

2)OFFICE
    HCPC runing windows media center
    Broadband modem
    cable box (this needs to be with HCPC for it to control chanels etc

3) BEDROOM

2 choices I have and awaiting cable decision on which route to go down 1)28" TV usual conections 3x scart or
    15" TFT monitor STD pc inputs only

5ch amp and surround kit

I also have at my disposal
    1)Keene infa red extender kit (the type used to get signals into cabinets etc with 5 infa red senders and one reciever
    2)one of those wireless TV SENDER kits that conects via scart from eg DVD/SAT to 2nd TV (controls picture and remote)

The main problem at the mo is control of the HCPC from other rooms as the IR booster is very unrealable at the lenght it is

With regards to evrything else as im decorating I can relocate any of the above to whatever room best suited
    IE the modem and cable box can go anywhere

AS the missus is moaning,budget is a issue and looking at about £200 max but i allready have stacks of high quality cables from last install

Sorry I know this is a long one but thought it best to explain whole system to aid advice

thanks in advance

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are asking quite a lot here, mate. It would take me an hour or so, and a lot of sketch paper to come up with a plan for that lot, and I'd need to know what you are trying to achieve. All sources all zones? Does cable TV go via the HCPC? Are you happy with the PQ on a 20m VGA cable, that's a fairly long run. I'm sure that's why nobody's replied, it's a 2000 word essay to give you a plan.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for looking.
    sorry I know its quite a long one,I think I have it cracked finally but would very much apreciate a 2nd opinion.Firstly in answer to your questions;

1)yes cable tv is via the pc
    2)yes PQ is good although the length of the leed (although i am surprised !)
    3)all I really need in bedroom is the HCPC as this will give me cable,recorded programs and music from hardrive

The basic plan I have is
    OFFICE
    PC to plasma in living room via svga and sound via RCA as only stereo (seperate dvd player in lounge for digital sounds)

S-vid output from PC to bedroom TV and IR extender to control or SVGA lead to LCD Panel in bedroom if i go down this route

Lounge
    1)DVD(ALL In 1 system) to plasma via SVHS or (if i can afford it) RGB to component converter
    2)sound from HCPC into ALL In 1 system via RCA

With reference to control ,I can buy a USB extender leed upto 10-15m which would mean the IR reciever in the living room has a hard wiried connection directly to PC hopefully elimating the reliabilty issue.As for the bedroom I would use the IR extender kit as it would not be as fustrating if it wasnt 100% reliable.

Do you think this would work ?