1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

HCPC Build Specification Advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by joust, Apr 1, 2003.

1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi All,

I have the following specification PC which I am about to upgrade to HCPC specification:

Athlon thunderbird 1.4Ghz
    Chaintech 7KJD motherboard
    512MB PC2100 ram
    liteon 16x DVD
    IBM 75GXP 15gb HDD
    generic midi tower with 300w PSU
    17" dell monitor

I have decided that I will add a memorex RF keyboard and mouse combo, and a Sapphire radeon 9000 64mb gfx card. However, I'm confused at to what to do with the sound card front!!!!

I have been looking at sound cards all day, and am now completely confused. I want both DD and DTS (in all formats i.e. ex/es), which will be fed via optical or coaxial SPDIF to my marantz sr5200. Can anybody recommend me a sensible card for less than £50 that will do the job (what about the philips sonic edge 5.1)? Or would I be better on spending the money on a motherboard upgrade that has SPDIF output (do these do both DD and DTS in 6.1 format?)?

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Joust

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,736
    If you can stretch the budget a bit I think the M-Audio 7.1 revolution takes some beating at the price. Or the Audigy 2 can be had for about £80 and that does DVD-Audio (as will the M-Audio when software comes along for it). I think they're both worth paying the extra £20 or £30 or so to be honest...

Andy

3. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a cheap card with digital output, I've had the Creative SBLive! 5.1 recommended to me - which is ~£25 inc VAT from overclockers.co.uk for the OEM. They also have the SB 4.1 Digital, which has a digital output, for ~£12 inc VAT - though I don't know what it's like for compatibility. Regarding S/PDIF output on the motherboard, I'm having some issues with the output on my Asus A7V8X - not getting passthrough but getting it to work properly - but I've heard that several people, including TheaterTek themselves, have got the A7N8X working just fine.

_