1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC as DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by skimber, Aug 21, 2003.

1. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I can't seem to find out if this is possible. All the capture cards I have looked at talk about recording MPEG-2 directly to hard disc but I can't find out anything about recording directly to DVD-R

Does it have to be a two step process or can a HCPC do the job of a DVD recorder and record straight to the disk?

If so is it just a software issue or do i need a particular capture card?

Cheers

2. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    I would also like to know the answer to this one being the proud owner of a pioneer 106 multiformat drive. :)

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Pioneer and Phillips DVD Reccorders are able to do this via dedicated hardware, but at the moment it is not possible with PC components. I have a Phillips DVDR 1000 which I no longer use as the reliability of recordings is poor, and the ability to edit the recordings and menus is limited. The whole reason for building my HTPC was to improve on the abilities of the DVD Recorders, as posted here:
    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=4;t=7364

Believe me, you do not want to record straight to DVD. Record using an MPEG2 capture card, load the file(s) into Ulead DVD Workshop, spend a few minutes creating a menu if required, then burn to DVD, but you will probably watch the files straight off the HDD instead, and use recording to DVD only for long-term archiving.