1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC as a video scaler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kwijibo, Nov 20, 2004.

1. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just got a Pioneer 43MXE1 and have had problems with black level detail (see thread in 'plasma' section). I am now pretty convinced that the fault lies with the Pioneer video card, and by adding a video processor (lumagen, DVDO etc) I will vastly impove the performance. However, I am also looking closely at getting a HCPC.

My question is, can a correctly specified PC do the same job as the afor mentioned processors?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, and possibly better, certainly with more control, using FFDSHOW and maybe the DScaler module.

However, whether it's worth the effort as against buying an iScan HD is not entirely clear to me. Unless you already have an HTPC, the outlay in building it and the time setting it up and tweaking, messing with video drivers, software players, patches, etc. etc. is perhaps not worth the effort.

3. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well if I'm going to build one anyway, I can be certain that this route will give a performance at least the equal to a seperate scaler. Good news all round then.