1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC and progressove san/ HCPC and aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cg999, Oct 28, 2001.

1. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm just about to start putting this HCPC idea into practice so I hope that these are the last of my silly questions:

1. If I use a Radeon VE card and PowerDVD using VGA out to my PJ am I getting a progressive signal. If I'm not, what do I need (hardware/software) to get a progressive signal?

2. My PJ does not have a 16:9 mode when using the VGA in, but I can change the aspect ratio to 16:9 in PowerDVd. Am I not getting the benefit of the extra resolution of annamorphic DVDs. I can't see any loss of detail myself.

Thanks in advance

Conor

2. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I gather from previous posts, VGA is inherently progressive scan. The PC draws 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 etx at the same time, ie progressive scan. I believe this is also the same as a line doubler. After that I get kind of lost so I will leave it to the experts.:clown:

3. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

Now if someboby knows anything about the aspect ratio question???

Conor

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    The basics of progressive scan are covered at www.progressivescan.co.uk.
    Yes, the output of the PC is progressive scan.
    72Hz if the refresh rate to aim for.
    If you can't reduce the vertical height of your picture and save it as a separate memory 'block' then in order to be able to watch 4:3 and anamorphic material, you will need to 'lock aspect ratio' in the software and use a 4:3 setup.
    Yes you are losing data but if you can't tell any difference then fine :)