1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC and Pioneer 433MXE-1 setup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Max Erixon, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Max Erixon

Max Erixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aloha All!

I've just finished my HCPC project and I've received my 433MXE-1 screen. I'm running 1024x768@60hz and the picture is great. I have a Radeon 9800 pro card and use the DVI output to connect to the screen. The family will be using MCE2005 but I plan to use WinDVD6 when watching DVDs.

Now to my question, will powerstrip and/or ffdshow or any other program improve the picture quality? Of course I wan't to tweak the picture to be perfect!

HCPC specs:
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 3000+
    TV Tuner Card: Hauppauge 350
    Graphics Card: Radeon 9800 pro ultimate edition
    RAM: 512Mb

BR,
    Max.

2. Max Erixon

Max Erixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....forgot to say (if it matters) - I live in sweden and I'll only wath PAL TV and DVDs.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You will get a smoother picture if you use Powerstrip to set the refresh rate at 50Hz for 1024x768. Also set the FRC to mode 2.

Don't think Win DVD benefits from ffdshow - Theatertek does.

dscaler might improve things with the 350 card - never used one myself. If dscaler does work with your card then use it - it is the equivalent of a £1000 scaler/deinterlacer for free :)

Also to reassure you - you have the best plasma currently available for use with a HTPC. But then I would say that because I've got one too :thumbsup:

4. Max Erixon

Max Erixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! One question though. In the specs it says that the MXE will accept 1024x760@60hz when using DVI but you say that I'll get a better, smoother, picture if I use powerstrip and set it to 1024x768@50hz. Why will this give a better result? Should I use this setting only for wathing DVDs and TV or should I use it for the windows desktop as well?

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    PAL is 50Hz, so if you feed the display a 50Hz signal it doesn't have to play around so much with converting the signal (a standard PC signal is 60Hz). Set the FRC mode to 2 in the integrator menu (press and hold display, then press menu, then go to FRC mode under the options menu) and you will get a nice smooth picture.

actually i don't think anybody is quite sure what the Pio does with an incoming signal under the various FRC modes, but the point is it works.

So you really only need it for any PAL material - TV or region 2 DVDs. But the desktop will be fine also at 50Hz.

6. Max Erixon

Max Erixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that I should have been able to figure that out by myself...... Since you're using the MXE screen yourself, do you have the ultimate powerstrip settings?

BR,
    Max

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Um I could if I was still using a Radeon card, but I've switched to a Nvidia (for reasons I won't bore you with) and I cannot get 50Hz on DVI with that card. So making do with 60hz which is OK but not as good as 50Hz.

From memory, just go into Powerstrip - display profiles - configure; then select custom resolutions, then change the refresh rate from 60Hz to 50. It might end up as 49.997 but don't worry about it. Hit apply and there should be a quick jump in the picture then a nice rock steady 50Hz display. Sorted.