1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC and Desktop PC too?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CrispyXUK, Oct 5, 2004.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

after building my HCPC and discovering that I really cant have 2 pcs in my bedroom I have decided to convert the HCPC to a normal desktop PC that will be linked up to my av system too. Question is what solutions do I have available to use my PC as a HCPC when I want? I have a digital Coax to my denon 3802 and vga cable to Panny AE300 projector, any ideas?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry mate, not too sure what you're asking here ... I'm not sure why you're viewing the HCPC as being somehow different from a desktop jobbie and what sort of 'conversion' you think is needed.

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'd like to use it as a normal pc most of the time on a monitor at a desk. What I'd like to setup a button or something to switch monitors, change res then load meedio, does that make sense? I'm having a bit of trouble explaining in words what I'd like, I blame the Stella :)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I see what you're after now. :)

Switching monitors actually isn't too much of a problem, generally when your card has dual outputs you can simply configure them to display the same thing, ie. the Windows desktop .. this is called 'clone mode' in ATI drivers, not sure what nVidia calls it.

As for changing resolutions, I don't know how to automate it as I've never wanted to but it must be possible because I see tools like Girder etc. having resolution switching functions.

So, yes, it's certainly doable, that's how I run my HTPC alternating between my projector and an LCD TV, I just haven't gone to the effort of finding a way to make it a 'one click' option. I'm sure others have. :)