Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

hcpc and AE-100 pj ntsc or pal???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pj, Apr 2, 2003.

1. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    im just about to get a hcpc for my AE100 and was wondering if there is any preference toward pal or ntsc (technical or visual) as when i had it via vga on the nintaus player ntsc was the winner!
    just need to know before i start swapping all my ntsc's for pals or vice versa!
    thanks
    PJ

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Well the panle on the ae100 is only enough res for 16x9 NTSC but with a decent HTPC the differences between using PAL or NTSC discs is minor with this projector in my experience.

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I gave a couple of mates a 'blind' test so to speak. One of my mates brought a PAL version of Rush Hour 2 over, and we compared it with my NTSC version. I didn't tell them which one I was playing, and played the same scene with both. They both agreed that the 1st one I played was the best - which happened to be the NTSC version.

Where you could tell the most was with horizontal lines when the camera pans across. There is a lot more flicker on the PAL.

This makes sense as Powerstrip is throwing out a picture at 60Hz, which would be suited perfectly for NTSC material. I don't know if it's possible to create a setting in Powerstrip for PAL stuff (50Hz)? Anyone? I'd like to know, because at the moment I lean towards NTSC when buying DVDs.

Cheers

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    That's interesting because it conflicts with conventional wisdom. I will have to try a blind test myself. It may depend on the disk, or even the dvd player software.

5. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    from the tests ive done the ntsc discs do look better then the pal discs the pal discs seem to have (dont know how to explain!) rough edges, for example the paramount logo is sort of slightly jagged on the left hand side of the mountain!where the ntsc mountain is pin sharp perfect!
    and in moulin rouge(before mcgregor starts singing in the elephant) nicoles right eye seems to be flickering but is fine on the ntsc version
    it might be down to the different software players, powerdvd seemed to play the pal discs better than medion cinema xl(the one i need to use the remote control!) but still not the point of perfection
    i think this will be an ongoing investigation!
    PJ

6. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the AE100, NTSC may well be better as it has 480 lines, just as NTSC does - hence no vertical scaling required. Having said that, seeing how stunning the picture is from my HTPC (which has to scale regardless of format) I'm surprised that the difference is very noticable.

_

7. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's only noticable if you make an 'A B' comparison, otherwise it's hard to be picky. The picture is also stunning on PAL when using a HCPC.

I still rather NTSC stuff though, just for that percentage of less flicker.

BTW, I use Theatertek through a Radeon 7500.