1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC advice please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by charlie, Feb 25, 2003.

1. charlie

charlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Recently bought the Panasonic AE100, and I am thinking of going down the HCPC route, and have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out :)

I intend to use an existing machine, AMD K6-2 550 processor, 386mb ram, and put a new graphics card in it.

Is the processor fast enough to cope with decent dvd playback?

Any recommendations on a graphics card? - ideally looking to spend no more than £50 - £75 as long as it does the job.

The machine is actually a HP Pavilion 6630 (don't ask!), which annoyingly enough has onboard AGP graphics, so I will have to go down the PCI route. Will this cause a problem or not?

Just had a quick look at dabs who have this:

Radeon 9000 64MB DDR PCI RP DVI VO, for £60 inc vat.

which sounds like it might do the job?

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome, and please be gentle :D

Charlie

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Charlie,
    As long as you are using the Radeon's hardware acceleration with your chosen DVD player software, usually the default setting then I think this would be fine for DVD only playback.

It probably won't work as well with a capture card and DScaler software for other analog video sources though, might drop frames and skip about.

From what I've read the Radeon 9000's have great image quality for HTPC use.

Q: Is it the right type of DVI output for the projector?

regards,
    Rob.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The PCI card would be a reasonable stop gap solution but in my opinion is limiting its long term use, once you've got used to watching a picture on your ae100 via HTPC then you wont want to go back to a conventional player.

Personally I'd bite the bullit and buy a new mobo like

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=27187

for £40 and a XP1800+ http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=29003 for £48 and then buy a AGP card instead. With a bit of luck your ram might even be the right type to fit the mobo. This and a suitable capture card will then be good enough to run Dscaler.

If you decide to go the PCI route then check that the card is not dvi only as you'll need vga for the ae100.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I am in the same predicament Charlie.

I have computer, now it has an AGP slot but its only half height but it does have a riser that will accept PCI full height cards so am looking at the same card as you from Dabs. Tipically the PCI is £7 more expensive. :( This card though is DVI and VGA :)