1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCC test results on Tosh 42" and Samsung 47"?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tomas L, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I going to buy a new RPTV in the weeks to come. I am interested in the new models from Toshiba (42WH18B) and Samsung (SP-47W3HF). Sony 44" (KP-44PS2U) and Thomson 44" (87ES) are also interesting.

Has anyone read any reviews on any of these models? I know that Home Cinema Chioce has tested some of them, but sadly I can't buy HCC here in Sweden. What did they think about the RPTVs?

I have seen the Samsung and I like it, but I'm concerned about Samsung quality. And from what I've read on this forum, the Toshibas isn't perfect either. (Toshiba TVs has recently been released in Sweden, so we don't have much experience with them.)

Or should I wait for the new tabletop DLP-RPTVs that LG, Samsung and others will release later this year?

Please help me, all answers and opinions are welcome :)

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not try the new panasonic. I had ordered a tosh but I cancelled it after the reviews on this forum. There is a thread about the new pan TX42PL10 on this site. Go check out the comments.

cheers matey

3. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Shaun, I will. What Toshiba had you ordered and why did you cancel your order?

I have actually seen the Panasonic and it's also interesting. The TV in the store had a geometry problem that made the picture "smile" at me....but that can probably be fixed in the service menus. It doesn't have component inputs though. Does it have built in progressive scan?

Still interested in the HCC reviews and opinons of the Samsung and the Tosh. I'm mostly interested in what they didn't like...

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba range is no less likely to go faulty than any other brand. Toshoiba offers the best picture plus full screen convergence, component input and a non-reflective screen. Bad news is good news, good news is no news, so you will seldom see a product praised as it should be.

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with dave about the fact that you have just as much chance of getting a dodgy tosh or pan. However, i changed my mind because i just felt better with the brand panasonic. In the shop I changed the pic settings on the tosh and the pan and there was very little in picture quality. The pan does have a non reflective coating on the screen and i did find it was less reflective than the tosh. The build quality on the pan was far superior too. There has been a lot of negative feedback on this site about tosh tvs but like dave says, good news is no news. The fact that the pan is new out is also a factor to consider. At the end of the day its what you are happy with. I have spoke to several TX42PL10 owners who are chuffed to bits with their set. I just felt happier getting the pan. The tosh I was going to get was the WH4218b. the sets i compared picture settings with was the above tosh and thr pan TX42PL10

6. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the panasonic you can choose between the scans. auto/progressive or 100hz. maybe you can on the tosh too i dont know

cheers lads