1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCC know of cure for PD30 black crushing?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by cerebros, Nov 12, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Don't know if this is of any help to those of you who have the black crushing problem on your PD30, but the latest HCC has a letter from a reader who has this problem.

HCC suggests an engineer should be able to install a new "DG" module which should cure the problem - whether this is some new knowledge, or if they're taking a wild stab in the dark, who knows?

HCC also ask if any other readers have experienced the problem.
    I'm sure most people who bought the set based on HCC's (and other mags) reviews will be writing in to ask how HCC missed it in the first place...

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Is this in the Dec issue of HCC (I cannot find the letter or response) or is there a Jan issue out already?

I was one of the people who emailed HCC asking about this. I would not blame them for missing the dark crusghing problem. It does not exist with all RGB sources, e.g. not with my Sky+, and only seems to show up on certain scenes.

Also, many magazines share reviewers. John Archer wrote the reviews for the PD30 in both HCC and What Video. I wonder if they actually test the set for a second time to write the second review?

For any PD30 owners out there who want to tell HCCs Speakeasy that they too have had RGB problems on the Panny PD30 you can email them here:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/email/index.html

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's the Jan 2004 issue - I'm currently still a subscriber (although still trying to figure out whether I'll want to renew next time round, since I mostly read the show articles more than the reviews these days)

Thing is, I don't think any mags current detail the whole regieme they use to test TV's (most of the time it seems they just hook up a DVD player via component and that's it).

To be honest, I think it would be more useful (particularly when testing TV's that do lots of processing) if they had a set DVD-R of a football match broadcast on Sky or a low-bit rate sports channel and used that to judge the processing quality (especially in group tests), since that's the sort of thing that seems to constantly trip up the processing of 100Hz and resolution boosting sets, and also seems to still be one of the biggest complaints areas about the processing.

Yeah, i think when I've followed up review links from this site, the review in general seems to say exactly the same thing (although I've never done a direct comparison so I can't be sure)