1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCC Infocus 5700 review?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by keyser, Dec 18, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The magazine hasn´t arrived yet here in Iceland.. what did they say in their review?

2. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't have my stack of HCC mags to hand, but you can have a look at a calibration report that I produced for the Infocus Screenplay 5700 over on my website.
    I have included a number of thoughts on the 5700 in the cal report.
    For a unit that is supposed to be factory calibrated to D6500, the ISF calibration made a significant difference.

Regards, William

3. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It gets a 5 star review - "Picture quality is simply first class".
    Only small criticisms are lack of lens shift, blacks could be better and lens barrel silver / grey colour affects contrast.

They also mention how sky+ owners will like the s-video inputs; surely they would be better off with the RGB scart input!? The remote is also criticised for not being backlit, but it is!!

4. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, having experienced the Infocus Screenplay 5700 played with it and set it up I wouldn't even dream of spending £3000 on it, £3750 will buy a Sim2 Domino 20 which is ten times as good.

I'm not saying that it is especially bad, but it is not a 5 star machine its a 3.5 star machine at best, in comparison to the competition.

The monkeys are coming!!!!!

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I didn't think it was much of an advance on the old NEC LT150, the blacks weren't much so much better that you'd notice and although the rainbows weren't quite as bad they were annoying and I got a headache within a couple of minutes of the demo.

6. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, for what it's worth, I wouldn't dream of spending nearly £4000 on a projector without a digital input. For use with a HCPC / future proofing, I would say this gives the 5700 the edge, especially with HDMI just arriving.

For an extra £1000 I would hope the Domino is better, but I think we are talking about very small improvements here.

7. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to say that the Domino is better. Don´t both machines have pro´s and con´s. The 5700 is MUCH brigther isn´t it, so for those that don´t have good light control the 5700 should be "better", but for those that have dark rooms then the Domino might be better. And for those that have DVI dvd players, the 5700 might be better.

8. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digi input is a fair point but at the end of the day component is still the best in terms of compatability.

But thats not what I'm saying take 1 DVD player for instance Denon 2900 v.popular what is it going to look better on assuming its reasonably dark(not black out!) Sim2 ! At this level I don't think £750 is a lot extra to pay for that better picture.

IMHO - I don't think brightness is all that important anyway, contrast ratio far more important, the problems is contrast ratio can v.easy be exaggerated.

Any thoughts?