HCC best sub of 2003!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dave H, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I see that Rel won the best sub award again with its Q150E,why is there no mention of the Veladine(spelling) range of subs are they too expensive to be included in the awards or are they not well known enough for HCC.

cheers Dave.

2. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Or maybe Velodine dont spend enough money on adverts with HCC to get rated :D

sTTu

3. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting points.

Still even if it was rated..why would it be rated 'fairly'?
    Just check out HCC tests on the CHT12. The CHT bigger brother.
    The words was impressive...but the star rating is not even close.

Not even close to the way people on this website has been glowing over CHT10. Can't believe the difference is so HUGE between the 12 and teh CHT10.

what does it mean? Is there any official tests on teh CHT10? Haven't seen anything on it...besides on this forum from CHt owners. Anyone has such a review?

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whole 'awards' issue seemed very thrown together to me, like they weren't interested once they'd made sure they had a big gold cover to entice people browsing in WH Smiths.

A couple of reviews of new kit were little more than rehashes of the manufacturer's spec. sheets and the 'award' winners were so predictable it was untrue... and mainly easy to predict by making note of the large, full colour ads in the mag :rolleyes:

I'm also not entirely sure how you can have a 2003 Awards issue in April 2003.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I haven't read the latest mag yet. But I'd bet I could guess some winners right now. The obvious one to REL has gone...... so how about Pioneer for an amp? Arcam for a DVD? Speakers... hmmmmm, well Mission/B + W good starting point.:)

What are the other categories?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I always think that awards issues are a con as most of the space is taken up by reprinting stuff that has already appeared once.

In the case of HCC I'm not sure that I understand the concept of "Installer of the year" anyway.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Installer of the Year? Who had the most features in the mag the last 12 months = Award?:) Can't remember names from the top of my head.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It was won by Audiofile with Zebra and Musical Images as the also rans.

Are we all surprised :D

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Not really. Musical Images do run some nice big ads every month.:rolleyes:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Irrespective of the advertising, surely installer of the year is a stupid category for an award as to present such an award presupposes that they have seen all of the contenders and quite patently they haven't.

Have they looked at any of Erics or Elliots or is it only the glossy type installs that keep the cabinet makers in business that get into the running.

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    Before anyone reads the assumptions made by you guys and actually believes them to be true, let me make one factual note to help.
    Magazines like HCC can't actually review a product unless they are sent it for review. You may suggest that important products should be actively sought out for review, but there are only a limited number of pages for reviews and so many products are sent for review that there is a considerable waiting list already.

So REL send their subs in to the magazines for review and Velodyne don't. Is it surprising, then, that Velodyne DON'T win sub of the year award? You can't win a race if you don't even enter!

For subwoofers, there are 10 REL reviews online, 5 Vibe reviews, 4 Yamaha reviews and only 2 Velodyne reviews.
    It's hardly the fault of the magazine(s) if they aren't sent the products for review, is it?

I'm not standing up for REL, here. The Q150 isn't the best subwoofer available. Any in the REL ST range would beat it. And I'm not defending the magazine's choice of subwoofer, either. I'm kind of defending the magazine by stating an important fact that you guys have overlooked.

You guys seem to revel in the suggestions that the awards are given because the companies advertise.
    Has it occured to any of you that they may be advertising because they won the award?

:rolleyes:

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    All the 'premium' magazines, whatever the field, I know refuse to accept loaners, and buy the products themselves in shops. This way there is NO bias and you don't get all the acusations that normally appear. There are no tweaked produts and products compete on equal footings. Unfortunately that is a long way from what we currently have in the AV industry.:(

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Hmmm good point SPectre
    But, if i was in a cynical mood I woud probably say....

"i wonder if he would have put that post in if it had been about 'What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision' or another magazine that isn't a forum sponsor?"

But I'm not in a cynical mood I am just very tired and want some money.

PS I would much rather see in-home reveiws, these semi lab setup reveiws are for me at least a waste of time!
    Plus the test kit (reference) is so expensive its way out of my league. So i think I will continue to ignore them and buy on whim alone, well whim and appearance. As long as it fits my miniscule budget:lesson:

14. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isnt every HCC issue an awards issue? The section at the back always gives a top 5 products in each category.. which makes the 'awards issue' a bit pointless.. there might be a couple of lines extra text about each product, but that hardly makes it an 'awards special'

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has it occurred to you that HCC know which 'winners' are most likely to take out advertising in the awards issue? :rolleyes:

Strangely, they're the same companies that advertise, with nice full colour spreads, every month.

Maybe the 'Awards Winners' issue should be renamed 'Account Holders'.

16. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Nail on the head !

Nearly all mags are driven by the ad revenue regardless of the industry. What would be nice would be to see some new products from new manfacturers, get the mags to break ground, uncover new stuff......perhaps they have done since I last bought one, but based on the last look I had it was pants.:thumbsdow

sTTu

17. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Hilarious - a previously well-respected UK magazine rates a product that many (although far from all) here seem to slate for sport, therefore the only answer is that the magazine is taking back-handers in the form of ad placements.

It couldn't possibly be that they actually rate it, despite what all the Velodyne owners here think? Let's face it chaps, if the CHT-10 had won rather than the Q150E you'd all be praising HCC's taste and good judgement.

Just be happy with what you own. What do you care if a magazine that you claim to ignore most of the time (although you do have a good awareness of the ads they carry.....) lists a particular product as an award-winner?

18. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe Redline should get off their collective rumps and send in a few units for review...
    Everyone is so ready to point the finger of corruption that they tend to miss the point.:hiya:

19. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Hi Fi News buy all the kit they review?

Regards,

Jules.

20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    HiFi News a premium magazine, now THAT really made me laugh.:laugh: I rest my case.

21. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    Oh get real !!! If Highbury-WV were to have to BUY every piece of kit they reviewed, the cost of each magazine would go up ten fold to cover the HUGE costs.
    Name me ONE motoring magazine which actually BUYS the cars/bikes/vans/lorrys for reviewing.
    Infact name ONE UK AV magazine which does this. I don't believe for one second any one does.

22. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but if Hi Fi News isn't a premium magazine then what on Earth is?

Regards,

Jules.

23. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here's a fact-if Rel sent a 100 Q150e subs a month to HCC or any other magazine, it still wouldn't make it a good sub.

24. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    DUH? Sorry, mate, but this is one of the most pointless comments I've heard for a while.
    All they'd need to do is send the magazine ONE for review.
    I don't know if the Q150 is any good compared to the competition in the price range, as I've not heard them. So I'm not sticking up for REL.

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because award winning companies' sales are directly related to those award wins.

Because some people don't demo kit, they don't know anything about the kit and they trust the magazines to list them the best products at their respective cost vs. performance levels.

As one of the few people here (and at magazines probably) who has owned - ie. bought with my own money - and lived with both a Rel Q150 and a Velodyne CHT-10 I can honestly say the Velo is a better product in virtually every way, unless a small size box is your priority.

Y'know, I don't actually care that mags protect their advertisers' interests, I just wish they'd have the good grace to accept and admit that they have to do so.

26. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    So you're saying that the Q150 is a bad sub then? It may not the best sub in the world, but it's far from being a bad sub.

Juboy has owned both and is therefore ideally placed to compare - as he says, the CHT-10 may well be the better sub, but it's not much use where size is an major factor......

Perhaps we should be talking about the "Best Compact Sub under £500 category" and the "Best Full-Size Sub under £500" category. After all, where size is an issue (and it is for many people) the CHT-10 ceases to be a option.

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I disagree as I think that size is not relevant to the "Product of the Year as the only thing that should be relevant is cost. If there is any division of a category it could be split into budget, mid and high end.

If we have the subwoofer category subdivided by size why not have further divisions by colour as well. Best silver AV Receiver.

Whatever the rights and wrongs I would suspect that the reason that the Velodyne CHT10 has not been reviewed is because the distributors have not sent one in for review. Not that it matters to all the happy owners as they already know what it sounds like :D

28. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DUH? I'll make it clearer for you then.
    fact 1 rel consistently place a lot of advertising in HCC.
    fact 2 the Q150e consistently gets 5 stars in HCC
    fact 3 the Q150eis not a good sub value wise, performance wise or in the context of Rels own ST range and many other subs in its price range.

Radiohead I did not say anywhere that the Q150e was a bad sub-it obviously suits a lot of people but it certainly is not a 5 star sub at its price point and certainly doesn't deserve to win an award-I have heard it demoed by REL themselves and it sounded awful.

29. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Velodyne CHT-12 was reviewed by HCC but it got an average rating. The Servo-15 was reviewed by them about 4 years ago and got a 5 star rating, the reviewer mentioned being scared to push it to it's limits :)

I get the impression that HCC prefers a sub to be subtle which is fair enough but newbies take their reviews as law end up getting dissapointed. This forum remains the best source of info on what to buy bar none IMO, couple it with demos and you can't fail.

30. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twice as big, twice as good :D