1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hc19 vs hc22 vs hc42

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by crobo, Jun 2, 2005.

1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Could anyone tell me the difference between these Sony models? Is it just that the hc22 has some form of docking cradle and does this really make a difference? I need a simple miniDV camcorder to replace my Canon MV530 (battery charging often doesn't work, and it discharges spontaneously) and I'd be grateful for opinions on the relative merits of these models.

Another £100 brings in the hc42 with wide screen. Apart from the wide screen biz is this superior to the above models?
    Thanks

2. RobA

RobA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you own a large widescreen TV, plasma or lcd then you really should check out a "proper" widescreen camcorder even if you decide they are not for you and you prefer a 4:3 model. The extra resolution and better picture are actually well worth it if you intend to watch your footage on a 16:9 display.

The differences in picture quality between the HC39 and HC42 are nil. You are paying for DV-IN and analogue in. If these are not a priority check out the HC39.

The HC19 and HC22 are normal 4:3 models as opposed to 16:9. The cradle, I guess, is a gimmick in so far as the functionality is also provided on the camcorder. However it makes a nice stand for the camcorder!!!! :)

If you are after a cheaper, good quality replacment camcordr, JVC has some nice basic models which you can pick up online for £200-£250.