1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HC virgin seeks rough guide

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PaulW, Jan 2, 2002.

1. PaulW

PaulW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a toshiba 32" widescreen on the cheap last year which had built in dolby pro-logic. The picture is great, but the sound is naff so it is time to upgrade.

My current train of thought is to pair up either the MARANTZ SR4200 or the YAMAHA DSPAX620 with a set of the infinty Alpha 5 HCS speaker packs.

My questions:

1) Is there anything between the Yamaha DSPAX620 and the marantz SR4200 ? Both available for £300 from richer sounds at the moment

2) Any thoughts on the Alpha 5 speaker set (5 + sub) - I've been quoted £400 and wonder if they are good value for money or if there are better options for the same price

3) Are there any pitfalls with upgrading a TV with a prologic decoder already built in to DD / DTS? e.g. missing input / output variables....

Any help gladly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Battersea, London

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Paul,

Both amps are highly rated but the Marantz has Prologic 2 which I don't think that the Yamaha has and could be useful for non DVD sources.

Make sure that is the Marantz 4200 OSE which Richer Sounds is selling.

Never heard of the speakers - sorry.

No problems upgrading to Dolby Digital as you would bypass the television's internal decoder and use the amp instead.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I decided on the Yamaha over the Marantz after demo'ing both at home. That's what I'd recommend you do too if at all possible. It's really the only way to be sure you make the right decision for youself.

Most places will be able to offer a home demo, for a deposit of course.

Never heard of those speakers either. Not usually a good sign. Especially when Richer Sounds have the awesome Mission Cinema 7 pack for £400 (supposed to be £800).

4. PaulW

PaulW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice chaps.
    Should the lack of a sub on the Mission 7 series be a factor?
    400 is about right for my budget but I'm not going to be able to afford a seperate sub straight away.....

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Depends on how big your room is and how dedicated a Home Cinema room it is. Mine's in a small space (half of my bedroom), and my Mission M73's are more than enough for all the bass I need. The .1 bass channel in the 5.1 can be sent to the main speakers, and if your main speakers are the quality of those a package such as they are in the Cinema 7 pack, then you can quite easily rely on the bass of those speakers to fulfill your needs.

The thing many people forget, is that a sub is not something you can really buy on a budget and expect to work in the way needed. You need to spend loads on a decent sub. One you might get in setup that isn't a satellite system just isn't worth it, in my opinion of course.

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased the SR4200 from Empire Direct £260.

It's now hooked up to my Tannoy Mercury M4's (front), M2's (Rear) and Celestion Centre, fed mainly from my Tosh Sd210 DVD.

I can definitely recommend Pro-Logic II over plain Pro-Logic and unless you have actually heard your system with/without a sub you would not know the difference.

Having now enjoyed the benefits of Pro-Logic II, I would not look back. This is a positive bonus for listening to terrestrial programs and time-shifted stuff on video.

Cheers

Laurel

7. Tweeter

Tweeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't go and buy a cheap set of speakers just because of the sub woofer, you will regret it later when you find you need to upgrade your whole speaker system to get a decent sound.

The Missions from Richer Sounds are good value, mabe you could look for a cheap second hand sub until such time as you have sctratched enough together for something from the REL range.

Also keep in mind it takes more power to generate good base, a passive base or a weak amp will let it down.