HBO's Watchmen Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Lets talk about Sky Atlantic's terrible bitrate and audio quality again... :mad: The show was great .....

Lets talk about Sky Atlantic's terrible bitrate and audio quality again... :mad: The show was great .....
Agreed on both points. I enjoyed it, but was distracted by the issues.
Audio was incredibly quiet and picture noise was noticeable all the way through. I don’t think Sky Atlantic is the problem though. I suspect Sky are doing their best with the rubbish supplied to them. The download came in at 3.1GB which in my experience usually results in a decent picture.
It seems to me that every HBO production is plagued with picture noise. Game of Thrones, famously, and Succession were the same. I’ve no idea why it happens, but I dread seeing the HBO splash screen sadly.

Can’t wait for this, thanks Cas, love the directors cut of the movie as well, one of the best title opening sequences to a movie ever in my opinion.

I wasn't overkeen on the first episode, the first half felt like a ham-fisted political message. Perhaps it was a metaphor for the persecution of the original Watchmen?

Warmed to it later when the ass-kicking commenced, then it took another step up when Jeremy Irons appeared (perfect bit of casting) and when
we saw Archie / Owlship

I have to say that although it looks like it could be a good show on its own merits, it has tenuous links with Watchmen. Perhaps that'll change as it progresses.

I really liked Snyder's film, but I couldn't take the big blue balls constantly being shoved in my face. You can create anything you can imagine but you couldn't imagine a pair of underpants?

Who watches the Watchmen? Me, after however long it takes this to be released in 4K. Sky can do one.

Who watches the Watchmen? Me, after however long it takes this to be released in 4K. Sky can do one.

agreed should be broadcast in this day and age in 4k from the start

I enjoyed the first instalment on Sky. But as has already been mentioned the picture quality and especially the whisper quite audio was driving me crazy.
This should have been in UHD on Sky and really needs a 4K version sooner rather than later.
I feel I should watch the rest with one eye open. It might look slightly better that way..😫

Agreed on both points. I enjoyed it, but was distracted by the issues.
Audio was incredibly quiet and picture noise was noticeable all the way through. I don’t think Sky Atlantic is the problem though. I suspect Sky are doing their best with the rubbish supplied to them. The download came in at 3.1GB which in my experience usually results in a decent picture.
It seems to me that every HBO production is plagued with picture noise. Game of Thrones, famously, and Succession were the same. I’ve no idea why it happens, but I dread seeing the HBO splash screen sadly.
I've just watched a version of the HBO copy (2.12GB) and the picture quality and Atmos sound is pretty decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs to be great picture quality and the audio, i want to hear the trent reznor and atticus ross soundtrack not struggle and have to blow my speakers when the adverts come on!

Needs to be great picture quality and the audio, i want to hear the trent reznor and atticus ross soundtrack not struggle and have to blow my speakers when the adverts come on!
I was understating it a little :) The picture quality is great and you will have no issue with the Atmos track, especially when the gun fire starts :)

Racism's bad...Mm.Kay...Now pay up!
I've seen reviews where the reviewer has seen the first 6 episodes and state that this world building we keep hearing of really sprouts forth to benefit if you stick with it. However, they also say the racism and modern day swing/parallel holds and so whether that becomes overbearing, time will tell. They also don't seem to dare say much of a word against this whilst banging the anti-racism and shame drum at historical ignorance.
Lindelof certainly went with the whole racism and reparations angle in a massive way and his interviews read like a Liberal's wet fever dream. The opening Tulsa massacre is derived from real events - though I doubt those turned off by the beating heart of anti-racism in this will care to know. The works he's cited as reading that led to his inspiration for Watchmen's plot take the point of black over white and the latter as owning the guilt of those past to present day. I've read some forums where that guilt is certainly not shared and whether HBO's large opening figures will hold or, remain so due to as much ill will to sprout from or good will be interesting.
In any case, Lidelof blending families racially with no apparent reasoning ( perhaps for the sake of controversy?) had me scratching my head., killing a massive lead star in the opener and making this more of a Kavalry/clan vs decent blacks and whites who will use indecent methods to win out may prove a bridge too far for some. Certainly, the superhero and Jeremy Irons character feels like a distraction than a large plot point at the moment. Regina King is unconvincing as a fighter and to me, weirdly, not up to her usual weighty self. In Southland where she played a detective, for example, she never came across as anything but formidable and yet here she is gifted with additional powers and freedoms and yet feels overly slim. Perhaps she'll get more comfortable or was simply a bit overwhelmed by this universe. Time again will tell.

So what did the kid in class say that got the girl all riled up? Something about Redford something?

I assume it's tied into the poster on the wall showing
Robert Redford as President at some point in their history

I re-watched Watchmen not that long ago and it cemented my view that its one of my favourite comic book movies. It makes you wonder why Deadpool was touted as the flag bearer for R rated super hero movies when Watchmen and Blade already exist.

I'll cautiously give the TV show ago, shame it comes so soon after The Boys, which I really enjoyed..

So what did the kid in class say that got the girl all riled up? Something about Redford something?

I assume it's tied into the poster on the wall showing
Robert Redford as President at some point in their history

He’s the current president. The kid said ‘Refordations’ which I presume are Government handouts for minorities; i think it was implying that because of the colour of her skin she couldn’t afford the house she lived in etc.

Racism's bad...Mm.Kay...Now pay up!
I've seen reviews where the reviewer has seen the first 6 episodes and state that this world building we keep hearing of really sprouts forth to benefit if you stick with it. However, they also say the racism and modern day swing/parallel holds and so whether that becomes overbearing, time will tell. They also don't seem to dare say much of a word against this whilst banging the anti-racism and shame drum at historical ignorance.
Lindelof certainly went with the whole racism and reparations angle in a massive way and his interviews read like a Liberal's wet fever dream. The opening Tulsa massacre is derived from real events - though I doubt those turned off by the beating heart of anti-racism in this will care to know. The works he's cited as reading that led to his inspiration for Watchmen's plot take the point of black over white and the latter as owning the guilt of those past to present day. I've read some forums where that guilt is certainly not shared and whether HBO's large opening figures will hold or, remain so due to as much ill will to sprout from or good will be interesting.
In any case, Lidelof blending families racially with no apparent reasoning ( perhaps for the sake of controversy?) had me scratching my head., killing a massive lead star in the opener and making this more of a Kavalry/clan vs decent blacks and whites who will use indecent methods to win out may prove a bridge too far for some. Certainly, the superhero and Jeremy Irons character feels like a distraction than a large plot point at the moment. Regina King is unconvincing as a fighter and to me, weirdly, not up to her usual weighty self. In Southland where she played a detective, for example, she never came across as anything but formidable and yet here she is gifted with additional powers and freedoms and yet feels overly slim. Perhaps she'll get more comfortable or was simply a bit overwhelmed by this universe. Time again will tell.

I'd like to think that there's some mileage in getting to the bottom of why:

1. Louis Gossett Jr.'s survivor of the Tulsa massacre hung Don Johnson's police chief, implying that he was involved in said massacre and thus one of the original clan members himself

2. The supposed white supremacists Johnson was hunting were Rorschach followers, which may be a red herring or may be a hint that they were merely being labelled supremacists so that the police could hunt them down (the police stop and search was almost predicated entirely on that mask, as the guy didn't actually tick any of the other boxes required for firearms authorisation - and he was carrying lettuces).

If they do it right, it will spin the 'vigilante' cops into unknowingly being themselves a part of a corrupt organisation (think: Shield/Hydra) and the gangs they are hunting are merely trying to assert the truth, and being shot down (literally) for it.

All of this would mean that the initial racism angle is kind-of being used as a distraction rather than a through-line because, I agree, it would otherwise be slightly heavy handed.

But Lindelof is Lindelof, even in his best work (Leftovers) you were scratching for answers across most of the three seasons until the conclusion (the best one he's ever managed).

He’s the current president. The kid said ‘Refordations’ which I presume are Government handouts for minorities; i think it was implying that because of the colour of her skin she couldn’t afford the house she lived in etc.
It was her son who struck out - perhaps has powers to read the truth in others; which would be cool, over simply being chip on his shoulder racism aware - though probably the latter.
The boy was asking if Redfordations paid for Angela to be able to quit the police and pay for the unused bakery, that's her bat cave.

1. Louis Gossett Jr.'s survivor of the Tulsa massacre hung Don Johnson's police chief, implying that he was involved in said massacre and thus one of the original clan members himself

2. The supposed white supremacists Johnson was hunting were Rorschach followers, which may be a red herring or may be a hint that they were merely being labelled supremacists so that the police could hunt them down (the police stop and search was almost predicated entirely on that mask, as the guy didn't actually tick any of the other boxes required for firearms authorisation - and he was carrying lettuces).

If they do it right, it will spin the 'vigilante' cops into unknowingly being themselves a part of a corrupt organisation (think: Shield/Hydra) and the gangs they are hunting are merely trying to assert the truth, and being shot down (literally) for it.

All of this would mean that the initial racism angle is kind-of being used as a distraction rather than a through-line because, I agree, it would otherwise be slightly heavy handed.

But Lindelof is Lindelof, even in his best work (Leftovers) you were scratching for answers across most of the three seasons until the conclusion (the best one he's ever managed).
Your point 1 is probably what that photo in his home is alluding to. There is a quote in trailer that suggests the mis-direction or distraction angle as well.

Redfordations act is anyone who’s a descendant of slaves doesn’t pay taxes...thus why the boy implied that’s the reason she could afford it and why LG asks the 7th K member if he believes EVERYONE should pay taxes

Squid anyone? - was this a reference to the frog storm in Magnolia. I enjoyed it and amazingly the picture and sound on Now TV via my Apple TV box was better than things like Game of Thrones.

1. Johnson is too young, the massacre was in 1921 and unless Gosset is holding to the whites owning guilt I it makes no sense as of yet.
2 .It is confused as of yet but yeah the Rorschach clan appear to carry not only the whistleblower mantel but in their eyes being set up as the fall guys within racisms' charge for the authorities to bear arms against.
Reading Lindelof interviews, I can't see the clan getting made white, so's to speak, as he's set his stall on racism and needs them to blame. However, I assume he'll be showing racist authority figures in power to further beat his drum against and not just a band of redneck psychos. To make them or, indeed, the vigilantes as pawns of the power that is seems like a rather too brave a place to end. Lindelof could then be accused of white justification for violence against the blacks; as it all being a misunderstanding and, as I said above, he is clearly taking the ultra black/Liberal stance. He reads a bit like a character himself in some play touting how his eyes are only now open and he has an answer for its cause.

Squid anyone? - was this a reference to the frog storm in Magnolia. I enjoyed it and amazingly the picture and sound on Now TV via my Apple TV box was better than things like Game of Thrones.
It was a reference to the original story of the squid invasion.

In the comic, Adrian Veidt uses a gigantic psychic squid monster to instil fear into everyone so they work together & not blow each other up with Nukes

The movie had the better ending imo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom