HBO's The Outsider Season 1 Review & Comments

Good show. Was getting Storm of the Century vibes at the start (can't get 'I'm a little teapot' out of my head now!) mixed with True Detective. Good cast in this one from The Knick's Jeremy Bobb to Julianne Nicholson who was also in Storm of the Century.

I've watched the first two episodes on NowTV with HD boost on C8 app. The show itself is good. But the image was dull and lacking contrast with elevated and varying black level - i.e. the opposite of modern HDR productions - but posterisation or blocking wasn't really noticeable. Whether this look was artistic or simply a reduced dynamic range for easier compression, who knows.

Saw an advert for this on one of the other Sky HD channels and even that looked awful quality :censored:

I'm enjoying this but not sure if I'd of preferred it stay as a meat and potatoes cop drama that it pretty much started with or, go all mental King stylie?
Time will tell.

I'm enjoying this but not sure if I'd of preferred it stay as a meat and potatoes cop drama that it pretty much started with or, go all mental King stylie?
Time will tell.

Agree. I'd prefer True Detective to Supernatural Detective.

But perhaps they'll find some kind of in-between that isn't too King.

The "everyone has a doppleganger" idea is quite good, a little bit Us, and so hopefully no giant glowing hands of God here.

It's still possible it isn't going to be supernatural, but personally I'd prefer it if it is.

Hoping it doesn't follow the book to the letter toward the end, and then it'll be a surprise/fresh for everyone.

It's still possible it isn't going to be supernatural, but personally I'd prefer it if it is.

Hoping it doesn't follow the book to the letter toward the end, and then it'll be a surprise/fresh for everyone.
I'm pretty sure the bites/infection thing with the cop in the barn and him talking to it pretty set the boat adrift to supernatural falls - let alone the black woman and witchy-woo/nut job ways..

I don't know, much like Messiah, I thought this was fairly clear cut from the end of episode 1.

Surely they can't legitimately explain the two identical people thing without at least something freaky going on? It's a bit like a guy popping up in the desert and wiping out ISIS with a sandstorm. Nobody should really be wondering if he's just a magician after that. Unless he's Doctor Strange.

I don't know, much like Messiah, I thought this was fairly clear cut from the end of episode 1.

Surely they can't legitimately explain the two identical people thing without at least something freaky going on? It's a bit like a guy popping up in the desert and wiping out ISIS with a sandstorm. Nobody should really be wondering if he's just a magician after that. Unless he's Doctor Strange.

I was referring to the possibility that the
doppelganger could be explained away as the result of science/cloning, that sort of thing.

However I of course fully expect it to be supernatural given the source material. If too much isn't revealed however and some mystery remains, it could be considered more in line with True Detective.

I was referring to the possibility that the
doppelganger could be explained away as the result of science/cloning, that sort of thing.

However I of course fully expect it to be supernatural given the source material. If too much isn't revealed however and some mystery remains, it could be considered more in line with True Detective.

Sure, agreed, in an X-files-esque way, there's some room for being on the safer side of beyond natural without needing transmutating soul sucking clown monster aliens.

Sure, agreed, in an X-files-esque way, there's some room for being on the safer side of beyond natural without needing transmutating soul sucking clown monster aliens.

Yeah a mystery within a mystery. Without delving too deep and then needing to call in the Ghostbusters by the end :D

There was a lot to admire in True Detective, in what was in the background that we never saw. I would love them to continue that story onscreen, but it won't happen.

Hmm , I said this last week after watching the third episode . This thing though , serial killer does not feed off the initial action but the aftermath of said action . Much like "It" although rather than feed off fear , thus this bugger feeds of the aftermath of its actions . Great series .

Only 10 mins into ep4 but I'm sure the picture quality in the dark scenes has improved from the 1st few episodes.

Only 10 mins into ep4 but I'm sure the picture quality in the dark scenes has improved from the 1st few episodes.
It may be a bit (or we are getting used to it) but regardless the poor contrast and a raised black level dont help matters

It may be a bit (or we are getting used to it) but regardless the poor contrast and a raised black level dont help matters
Yes for sure - I watched the whole episode (was very good btw) and I agree the contrast was poor, the whole way through, even the bright scenes, there's a sort of misty feel to the show - but I definitely saw less banding in the darker scenes than previous episodes. It was still there, but not as bad to my eyes.

Yes for sure - I watched the whole episode (was very good btw) and I agree the contrast was poor, the whole way through, even the bright scenes, there's a sort of misty feel to the show - but I definitely saw less banding in the darker scenes than previous episodes. It was still there, but not as bad to my eyes.
yeah misty sums it up tbh

still hanging in there, but i'm getting a bit more jaded w/ each episode as I don't know what they're trying for; as mentioned, I don't know if i'm watching a cop show or a supernatural show.
and this 80%-blurred style has worn out its welcome.

King and his child killer/aftermath feeders. Tsk!
Now we've got mate leaving sacrifices and goods to whatever God/thing he's tuned into. Moving steadily into typical King otherworldly quarters.

Maybe HBO stands for Hazy, Blocky, Obfuscated.
Give it a minute and greg hook will be by to tell you how you PQ hounds are obfuscating genuine posters about the show. :D

I thought the book had a very underwhelming ending so I am hoping it is changed somewhat in the series.

Another good episode, but hell is this a slow burner. One a week is a killer as well.

If I wasn't already sucked in I'd save them up to binge - which is my recommendation to anyone yet to start this.

Watched episode 4 last night with the missus, I'm really liking it even if Holly is just wrong compared to the book! Trying to watch it impartially and as a standalone without referring back to the book.
One thing.....did anyone else think the discussion in the apartment was a bit Neo with the Oracle or was that just me?

Pretty crappy picture quality again this week in the darker scenes.

Story moved along a little though, Mr hoody guy getting more scenes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom