Hazy Tiles

mushroomkid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Calling all tile experts

So I've had new tiles laid in my bathroom. Porcelain tiles, these ones.

Now after the tiles have been laid and the grout has been applied and wiped off, the tile still has a sort of hazy grouty look on top. Never had an issue with glossy ceramic tiles, but with this being a matt tile it seems to have made the tile even duller. Bit of research says I need to buy a cleaner to get rid of the grout on top (I left it for a few days because of an issue) and because it's porcelain I may need something specifically to get it cleaner.

Any help guys?

Did you use an epoxy based grout? If so, you need something quite acidic to remove it and the longer it's on the more difficult it is to get off - speaking from experience.

Epoxy is in a different league to most grouts.

I still have a small blob of the stuff on a spirit level from a job I did 8 years ago.

Good luck if it is Epoxy. It's pretty unlikely that it is.

You need some grout residue remover. As its porcelain you can use something fairly aggressive.

Lithofin products seem to be the best IMO.

Test on a spare tile beforehand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lithofin-KF-Cement-Residue-Remover/dp/B00168VY82

Have you used this product before? Does it work well? Will it affect the grout in between the tiles?

Did you use an epoxy based grout? If so, you need something quite acidic to remove it and the longer it's on the more difficult it is to get off - speaking from experience.

Na it wasn't epoxy. It was Mapei anti-mould flexi grout

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It should be fine.

I have used it before.

It is an acid but it's washed off pretty quickly and rinsed.

Test beforehand.

It's really the only thing to remove the residue IMO

Epoxy is in a different league to most grouts.

I still have a small blob of the stuff on a spirit level from a job I did 8 years ago.

Good luck if it is Epoxy. It's pretty unlikely that it is.
Yeah, know - we insisted on an epoxy like grout on all our tiles in our new house. Because the tiler was a ****, he left a haze on most - took a month of Sunday's to get rid of it with some special and expensive cleaner. If he'd cleaned them properly to begin with it would have come off easily.

Last edited:
It should be fine.

I have used it before.

It is an acid but it's washed off pretty quickly and rinsed.

Test beforehand.

It's really the only thing to remove the residue IMO

Totally missed these alerts hence the late replies. I've got about 30 sq of tiles, do you reckon one bottle will be enough?

No idea. It really depends how much residue is left on.

I can't remember if it needs to be diluted or not. I think it can be used undiluted if it's really stubborn.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom