1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawklord: What next?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rhoamish, Nov 18, 2003.

1. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got hold of a copy of of Warrior on the Edge of Time, and now Doremi Fasol Latido has turned up from Play.

I've been blown away by both albums. Which other Hawkwind albums are similar? I'm just trying to avoid the dross (there's a lot of dodgy albums that either don't contain much Hawkwind, or have rotten sound quality).

I hadn't realised quite how much Hawkwind has been sampled by dance acts...

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Hall of the Mountain Grill and Space Ritual are good, followed by in search of space. I dont own any of these on CD so I cant comment on the sound quality or obtainability.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    Psychedelic Warlords... that was the opener on Hall of the Mountain Grill wasn't it? Nice riff:smashin:
    Space Ritual and In Search... sound pretty good for dusty old recordings. Cheap too, should be able to pick them up for around 6 or 7 quid each. I think Play have them in a cheapy sale at the moment, but I might be mistaken.

try to avoid most of the compilation albums or you'll have master of the Universe and Silver machine coming out your ears.
    I've always had a really soft spot for It's the Business of the Future to be Dangerous from the mid 90's. Not so "rock" driven, but a fine eastern/ambient/electronic/guitar mish mash that's still nice and spacey. It always seemed like a logical progression anyway seeing as they practically invented Trance back in the 70's. Every time I hear it I can't help thinking of arabs flying space ships:laugh:

I still go and see them every time they play in town. It's the kind of thing that once it gets inside you it never leaves

shouldn't do that, shouldn't do that, shouldn't do that, shouldn't do that, shouldn't do that, shouldn't do that...

4. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for those. I've actually got Space Ritual and Hall of the Mountain Grill already: both are great, although Doremi Fasol Latido seems to be my favourite so far.

I'll have a look for 'It's the Business of the Future to be Dangerous' next!

5. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OT: I remember a friend of mine having one of the Hawkwind 'Friends and Relations' LPs. It contained a track called 'Valium Ten' which was by Hawkwind but was almost a monster techno track. I've spent ages looking for that particular track on CD but have never been able to find it. Does anyone have any idea where I could get a copy?

Regards,

Jules.

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Hawklords is good as well. Wierdly for Hawkwind it's also an excellent recording. I have all mine on vinyl, only bought two on CD and promptly got rid and replaced with vinyl!! Bit like what's going to happen to the Darkness CD!! It's Nasty!!! Shame as i rate the songs!! Soon be fixed once I can trace a vinyl copy.................... :)

Other Hawkwind albums worth a dip but not so good as the ones above:- Astounding sounds (bit odd but ok), Quark, Strangeness and charm (actually pretty damn good in places!!) & Levitation (Ginge on drums, patchy, but still some killer tracks). The best of the worst: PXR5, Live79, Choose your masques.

Valium 10 was the b-side to Hawkwinds version of Motorhead. I have a copy (somewhere). E-mail me if you would like a **** on mp3. :D

**** to throw nasty RIAA scum off the scent!!:mad:

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the offer, Overkill!

I've been playing a bit of Hawkwind to some of my friends, and a few are very nearly converted. Normally, they dislike the stuff I'm passionate about, so I'm pretty chuffed.