Having trouble playing the UK Crank 2 Blu-ray...

Doctor Hades

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought this Blu-ray when it first came out and it played fine but when I tried to watch it last year it would not play at all on my Sony X800 BD player - it kept saying it could not read the disc. I tried this on my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and neither of those could play it either.

Thinking that the disc had somehow become faulty - the disc itself is flawless with no scratches, dirt or anything else on the playing surface - I decided to buy another copy from Amazon just after Christmas. This copy came last week and appears to be identical to the one I already had.

I briefly tried loading it on my new Panasonic UB820 4K BD player and while it took around an unusually long time to load, the main menu eventually appeared so I put the disc away to watch later. However, when I sat down to watch the movie over the weekend, the disc would not play. Gave the same "cannot read" error as the original disc. I tried it on my PS5 and Xbox One X and they too cannot read it.

What is going on with this disc (and, no, I did not mix the discs up as I tried the original one as well)?

Is the disc itself faulty or is there something on this disc that causes issues when playing discs? Note that I have a USB memory stick plugged into the rear of my UB820 but also tried the front port as well with the same result.

How can I possibly have got too duff discs which were bought years apart. Crank 2 came out in 2009 so the original disc is at least a decade old.

Has anyone got a copy that actually plays?

P.S. The first Crank movie still plays fine, as I also watched that over the weekend, and that is older than the sequel.

Have you read this thread? Seems to be because of BD-Live/bad authoring.
Pot luck if you happen to have a player that can read it.
Maybe clear the cache on the USB stick. That’s worked for me when I’ve occasionally had BD-live related problems on different discs.

Have you read this thread? Seems to be because of BD-Live/bad authoring.
Pot luck if you happen to have a player that can read it.
Maybe clear the cache on the USB stick. That’s worked for me when I’ve occasionally had BD-live related problems on different discs.

Yeah, I had already tried clearing the BDLive cache to no avail.

The problem is that the disc is not reading and displaying a small image as mentioned in other threads but is being reported as being unreadable. I can hear the drive clicking trying to read it for the best part of a minute before it displays "Cannot read disc". This happens on all the players I've tried and with the original disc bought a decade ago (or whenever it came out) plus the new copy I bought from Amazon last week.

I know you can get the odd duff BD from time to time but I find it hard to believe that I can possibly have two duff discs bought 10 years apart, unless the recent disc is old stock from the original pressing? I would have to be very unlucky though for that to be the case... right?

That's why I wanted to know if anyone can play this disc without issue as it does not work for me on five different players (Sony X800, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, PS5 and Xbox One X). As I said, the recent disc DID play when I first loaded it up on my Panasonic UB820 but now that same player claims it cannot play the disc!

I suppose I could email Lionsgate to see what they say but somehow I doubt they will bother replying as this is such an old movie now. I was hoping that it and the original would get a 4K release so I can finally have a copy that plays without issue.

Yeah, I had already tried clearing the BDLive cache to no avail.

The problem is that the disc is not reading and displaying a small image as mentioned in other threads but is being reported as being unreadable. I can hear the drive clicking trying to read it for the best part of a minute before it displays "Cannot read disc". This happens on all the players I've tried and with the original disc bought a decade ago (or whenever it came out) plus the new copy I bought from Amazon last week.

I know you can get the odd duff BD from time to time but I find it hard to believe that I can possibly have two duff discs bought 10 years apart, unless the recent disc is old stock from the original pressing? I would have to be very unlucky though for that to be the case... right?

That's why I wanted to know if anyone can play this disc without issue as it does not work for me on five different players (Sony X800, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, PS5 and Xbox One X). As I said, the recent disc DID play when I first loaded it up on my Panasonic UB820 but now that same player claims it cannot play the disc!

I suppose I could email Lionsgate to see what they say but somehow I doubt they will bother replying as this is such an old movie now. I was hoping that it and the original would get a 4K release so I can finally have a copy that plays without issue.
Just tried mine and it works fine, took a little longer to load than other discs but yeah, watching it now on a Panasonic uhd player.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom