Question Having trouble choosing a new TV. Anyone Help?

Chrisrg83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Okay, so right now I have a 1080p 44inch Vizio. I have never owned a 4k tv and I am in the market for one. With all the new tvs coming out this year I am having hard time choosing one. My tv is primarily used for gaming and movies with occasional Netflix.

I am looking for a tv in the 65-75 inch range with HDMI 2.1, ALLM, VRR and EARC. I was looking at the Sony X900H. Then started looking at some of the LG Oleds. I have some how convinced myself that I absolutely need the black levels and contrast of Oled but I really am afraid of buying that expensive of a tv only to get burn in.

The new Vizio P Quantum X tvs thay drop soon look promising. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Its a tough time to buy at the moment if you are looking to future proof. Apart from the LG C9 there are no 2019 TVs that offer both good overall picture quality (both HDR and SDR) and HDMI 2.1 support.

That leaves you with 2020 models like the Sony you mention, or Samsung's higher end LCD TVs. The Sony only has promised HDMI 2.1 support, it hasn't surfaced yet and the Samsung models only have 1 out of 4 HDMI ports HDMI 2.1 enabled. In the Sony's case if it does surface my guess is it will be 2 out of 4.

But the biggest problem is release pricing of new 2020 models. The Sony has only just been released and costs a lot more than its really worth. The same is true for other 2020 models like LGs new CX line, or Samsung's high end LCD TVs with T in the model number.

Its a tough time to buy at the moment if you are looking to future proof. Apart from the LG C9 there are no 2019 TVs that offer both good overall picture quality (both HDR and SDR) and HDMI 2.1 support.

That leaves you with 2020 models like the Sony you mention, or Samsung's higher end LCD TVs. The Sony only has promised HDMI 2.1 support, it hasn't surfaced yet and the Samsung models only have 1 out of 4 HDMI ports HDMI 2.1 enabled. In the Sony's case if it does surface my guess is it will be 2 out of 4.

But the biggest problem is release pricing of new 2020 models. The Sony has only just been released and costs a lot more than its really worth. The same is true for other 2020 models like LGs new CX line, or Samsung's high end LCD TVs with T in the model number.

Yeah, im just kinda stuck right now. I dont want to spend thay kind of money and get burn in from gaming sessions on a OLED. I just want to get yhe best picture possible with benefit to the new gaming consols coming out later this year.

I'd wait and get a new TV after the new consoles have been released. They never play ball on release, even if you make sure ahead of time everything is supported by the TV.

Well, I figure if nothing else I'm sort of future proofing in a way??
I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are thinking about buying the a 2020 model now and paying the premium newly released prices, then yes you are future proofing. But with the Sony X900H you really are putting your eggs in one basket hoping what they say is true and that full HDMI 2.1 support will come to the TV.

A more sensible thing to do would be to not become a beta tester for the new consoles and wait for others to make that mistake and give their feedback. Even if you were to buy a TV now like the LG C9 which has full HDMI 2.1 support you'd expect teething problems with new technology when they hit.

There are always problems on release of new HDMI revisions. There was back when HDMI v2 was released, and there will be now. There are no HDMI 2.1 source devices yet, the Consoles will likely be the first ones. There's no way to test whether a TV will work properly or not yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom