Having sky+ installed

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sloth, Sep 4, 2005.

1. sloth

sloth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

I have been reading the avforums for the last few weeks or so and have found some very interesting and helpful info out, but I would now like to ask a question (sorry, it's a bit of a long one)

I am having Sky+ installed in a couple of weeks and just have a few concerns.

I live in a bungalow and currently have normal sky. The dish is on the flat roof extension at the back and I have the cable coming through the roof and into the loft above the living room. I have also recently decorated my living room. I have the sky feed cable from the dish chased into the wall in the living room. I also have 2 runs of normal co-ax (from screwfix) chased into the same wall. One goes from the sky box up into the loft and into an amplifier/splitter to distribute the picture to other tv's in the house. The other cable brings the normal tv aerial signal down to the video recorder which sits underneath the sky box.

I know that sky+ requires two cables from the dish, obviously one of these will be the original sky cable. But i don't want another cable coming down the wall in the living room as I don't want to have to chase that into the wall as well (as I have only recently finished doing all that!!), and I don't want one just hanging down from the ceiling!. So my question is can i get the sky installer to feed the second sky cable from the dish and into the loft and then I will cut one of my own installs of co-ax and connect that to the new sky cable. the sky installer will then have two connections in the living room to connect the sky+ box to. Will this result in a small/large loss of quality in the viewing picture using that particular cable?

My second question is i did not have to take the multi-room option (quite plsd as i managed to get the brand new sky+ for £65) so i was thinking of putting my current sky box in the bedroom and taking another feed off the new lnb for this. does this usually work for receiving the free channels. can i connect the cable myself to the lnb or is it better to ask the sky installer to do it as a favour whilst connecting the other cable?

third question. is the difference between a pvr1 and a pvr2 that the first has a 40mb memory and the second 80mb?

last question. someone said that when you use sky+ you can for instance record the programme 24 and then watch it back automatically taking out the adverts. is this true or is it a more manual thing.

sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read and reply

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    It depends on the quality of the cable.......also connecting it to the other cable will require 2 "F" connectors and an in-line coupler which adds a bit of a loss to the signal.........you may get away with it if the signal from the dish is good.........there is nothing to beat one continuous length of double-screened coax as a downlead.

I would ask the installer and treat him with a bit of respect and tea & biscuits. :smashin:

Sky V1 and V2 both have 40gb HDD as standard.

It cannot be done automatically and would be very frustrating to try manually...........best idea would be to record it using Sky+ and buy a DVDR to edit and archive progs from it.

3. sloth

sloth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks for your reply

quality wise it is the standard co-ax from screwfix. it carries the sky feed into the bedrooms and i am more than happy with the pictures i get in there so it must be reasonable enough (although it does go through an amplifier - don't know if that helps?)

the signal strength is always about half a bar. what is the best way to go about increasing that? ask the sky installer to adjust the dish??

always the best way i find!

so what is the difference?

thanks again for your help

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    The difference is mainly software changes I believe.
    Anyway good luck with the installation.......it's a pity you hadn't thought about Sky+ when you were raggling the walls. :(