Having real problems trying to sell my car

Snatch

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Nobody seems to be biting and al the garages are offering absolute silly money...Up until 6 months ago, could have easliy got £18k - now i'll be lucky to get £15k..Market is in tatters coupled with the fact that this is an Alfa!
Have to sell for practical reasons (new addition to the family) and can't even get a pram in the boot!

Next stop autotrader!

front.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

side.jpg

Up until 6 months ago, could have easliy got £18k - now i'll be lucky to get £15k..Market is in tatters

Tell me about it. I bought a Mercedes 350SL in May and part exchanged it last month for £8,000 less than I paid for it. I also bought my wife an Audi A4 Cab at about the same time that I dropped £5,500 on when I part exchanged it two weeks ago.

It's a sign of the times I'm afraid as when people are worried about meeting their increased mortage payments or the ever rising shopping bill or even if they will have a job next week, the last thing on their agenda is car purchase

That's a beautiful example, very clean, where about's in the country are you?

Lovely looking car

We just sold our Freelander 2 it was only 8 months old and had done 6000 miles cost me £26,000 my wife did not like driving it so went to trade it in first two offers were £14,500 in the end i managed to get £18,000 trade in as the guy at the garage wanted it for himself still a big drop though.

That's a beautiful example, very clean, where about's in the country are you?

London mate..
Comes with all the toys incl 18" alloys, panoramic roof etc etc...Sorry, don't want to turn this into a car ad..Just wanted to talk about the tough car market (but i guess great for buyers)..
Worst case senario is keep this - it is beautiful and you hardly see any about. This example is immaculate!

I know what you mean mate. I put our Toyota Celica 190 2002 model up for sale at £4995 a couple of weeks ago. It has 57K miles, FSH, virtually every extra you can get on them including e/s/r, climate, leather etc. Had very little response, most people trying their luck with ridiculously low offers. It was only for sale as I came across a very good priced Shogun 3.2Di-D Elegance that suits our needs a lot better. I priced the Celica at £4995 as that was the sort of price W,X,and Y registered Celicas were being advertised for with lowr spec and higher mileage on them :eek:

Now, me and the missus have decided to give our other car back which is on lease. We will have to pay a penalty of 50% of the remaining balance. Luckily it is due to go back in 3 months anyway so the penalty aint to expensive.
Makes more sense for us to keep the Celica and the Shogun as they have both been paid for outright.
As said earlier it s a sign of the times.

Plus I couldn't bring myself to let the Celica go for a silly amount and would rather keep it just for its fun factor :)

I've actually spoken to a couple of dealers and message in one in the same - tough times! A couple have actually said that they would not offer more than 10-11k for it!
Hmm...whilst i appreciate everything comes down relatively - not much help when you have bought new!

what pram do you have? there's all kinds that will fold and fit? surely a better option? Our newborn was fine in our RX8. Your car will have Isofix points in the rear.

We got a Britax Vigour 3+ travel system, you get an isofix base on it which the child seat clips into, when you get to your destination just get the pushchair frame out of the boot, unclip the child seat and clip it onto the pushchair, you don't even need to move the child or unstrap them, the car seat also works as a pushchair!

Last edited:
I think it's certainly a sign of the times. Although there are a fair number of 08 plates around here I have yet to see a 58 plate.

Dave

Yep same story here....Bought an Jaguar XF in January with trade-in of our Nissan Murano estimated to be £17500 (3 years old) for the May delivery. Come May the dealer only offered £9k for the Murano!!!! Then tried BMW for a 5 series estate and they offered in June no more than £7600. Currently the best is around £6000....I am not going to give it away, silly money for a car that good and only 3 years old......

I think the times of people changing their cars on a regular basis are coming to an end, certainly for the short to medium term. I've got to the stage where if it works and doesn't cost more to maintain than it would to buy a new car, I'm going to keep it until it is dead.

I think the times of people changing their cars on a regular basis are coming to an end, certainly for the short to medium term. I've got to the stage where if it works and doesn't cost more to maintain than it would to buy a new car, I'm going to keep it until it is dead.

I fully agree, I guess in 3 years time when people want another second hand car again they'll get a shock as there won't be as much supply...and thus prices will be rising again...

Luckily there is nothing wrong with our Murano and is large 4x4 with everything you could wish for, so I'll drive it into the ground myself and change our family car in a year or two from now....

A wise decision...plus I love Murano's and were it not for the fuel economy would have one like a shot.

A wise decision...plus I love Murano's and were it not for the fuel economy would have one like a shot.

:D The fuel consumption is not that bad compared to my BMW 740i which on its own was a significant improvement to my previous BMW 750i ;) then again a Murano uses less fuel than an RX8 in the real world! :eek: And it has triple the size engine....

But yes, my wife does about 300 miles a week on the school run and she needs to fill it up every week...Ah well....

PS. That OP's Brera is stunning looking

Yeah, I have a Freelander diesel now and am quite happy with that economy.

I have had my 996 911 up for sale for weeks now and havent had a single bite. It is really well priced and is a great car but nothing!!

In the 2 years since I bought it I will have lost around 15000 in depreciation and it has cost me around 14000 to run it (including monthyl payment). Was it worth it, not really...................:(

Things really are intatters at the moment!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom