Having problems with wireless ICS, need help

safekidda

Standard Member
Hello all. As the title says i'm having problems with my wireless ics and xbox live.

I use my xbox in 2 places, downstairs on big tv where i plug straight into my router with no problems. However to keep the missus happy i also have a second setup upstairs where i can play when she wants to watch benders, coronation street etc. etc. upstairs i plug into my vga monitor and have a pc connected wirelessly (signal is good, generally about 3-5 bars) i use xp sp2 to share my internet via ICS.

I only currently own one game at the moment PGR3 so i'm not sure if my problem is issolated to this game, but i seem to get disconnected from live when switching between dashboard and the game (usually when i go from the game into the dashboard). If i turn my xbox off then back on again it connects to live ok.

Has anyone got any ideas why it is doing this??

colinwheeler

Well there could be some IP address conflicts because you are creating a network within a network. You need to make sure first that these two networks are different IP address ranges. If this is all too technical, reply and I will see if I can write up something more comprehensive for you too look into.

safekidda

Standard Member
Ah, i'm not too sure to be honest, i'll have a look when i get back home. I know my router has dhcp on and its belkin so the ip range is 192.168.2.2-100 and are using 255.255.255.0 subnet

'I think' my wireless pc upstairs has the second network card set as a static ip of 192.168.0.25 also subnet of 255.255.255.0 then my and my xbox is set to atain its ip address automatically.

Does this help?

colinwheeler

Yeah, it does and it does not sound like that is causing the problem....so sorry, I am stumped.

I suppose there could be routing or gateway issues but generally I have found ICS to be very good with this sort of stuff.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

safekidda

Standard Member
Can you think of anything else it could be? Does it make any difference what the subnet mask is. I never really understood what this does

safekidda

Standard Member
Yes i have run the test and my nat is set at Moderate. Is there anything i can do about this(besides buying a bridge/xbox wl apapter)???

safekidda

Standard Member
By the way nice site, i just had a look. However it does say that using wireless ics pc won't work. I have to say it has been working ok for me, the only problems i have seen thus far are being logged out of live when switching between dashboard and game, and it seems to take longer to log in on first startup.

ShadowmanUK

safekidda said:
By the way nice site, i just had a look. However it does say that using wireless ics pc won't work. I have to say it has been working ok for me, the only problems i have seen thus far are being logged out of live when switching between dashboard and game, and it seems to take longer to log in on first startup.

Really? I'd be interested in hearing more about your set-up in that case. I could get it working but NAT was always moderate. Are you saying that NAT is open. If so can you tell me more about the kit you are using. IP Addresses etc.

safekidda

Standard Member
Yeah when i'm on it works fine! Played several games happily no lag, talking over live fine. Were you under the impression that wireless ics wasn't possible whatsoever??

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom