Having Problems with Panasonic E55; Need Help, Please!

D

DVD-RCollector

Hi, everyone. I've been having a problem with my Panasonic E55 DVD-Recorder for a while now, and I was wondering if someone could help.

I bought it on November 1st, so it's still under the 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

Chronology of Problems:

Recorded a disc (on EP mode) with one hour remaining, tried to finalize, received "Finalizing Failed" message - December 20th

Recorded a disc (on EP mode) with 20 minutes remaining; returned home, turned on the DVD-Recorder to find: REMAIN: 0:00 (when I know I had at least 20 minutes left); tried to finalize, received "Finalizing Failed" error (without it even trying to finalize). I re-tried it, it claims it finalized, however the disc will not work in my standard DVD Player. - February 18th [this "REMAIN: 0:00" has happened at least twice since then]

Recorded another disc (same speed) and it was in the middle of a program, when it stopped to perform a "SELF-CHECK", then the recorded turned off and never came back on. - February 25th

I have no idea what's going on, and I've got absolutely no idea how to fix it. I'm very tempted to take it back and try to get another with a HD. Has anyone else experienced something like this before? :confused:

Please help; I'd really like to know how to proceed from here... :lease:

Sounds like a media problem as opposed to a fault with the unit - there is a wide range of DVDR media available and many incompatibility problems. Most set-top recorders don't work well with 8x DVD-R for example. Also use 'main brand' media such as Verbatim, Panasonic, Sony, TDK, Maxell or Packard Bell (among others).

I've been using generic discs ever since I got it and I've only had problems those times. Every other time it's recorded perfectly. :confused:

And I also use those discs to record from my DVD burner, and they've been recording perfectly since I started buying them, at least a year ago.

Every other time it's recorded perfectly...And I also use those discs to record from my DVD burner
Yeah - that's entirely consistent with DVDR media I'm afraid. A good indication to detect a 'dodgy' disc is to title it before you make the recording - if it works then it will normally record OK. None of these problems exist with DVD-RAM which is why many standalone owners use that media and then convert to DVD-R on the PC (iaw the guide in my signature).

But I want to keep using my DVD-R discs; what should I do if they keep messing up?

Should I take the player back and exchange it for another one?

But I want to keep using my DVD-R discs
Fair enough - as I say title the disc before you make the recording and, in the majority of cases, that will let you know if the disc will record properly or not. In addition use 1-4x media from major brands, i.e. Panasonic, Verbatim, Maxell, TDK, Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Packard Bell, HP etc You will get few to no failures with such branded discs.

Should I take the player back and exchange it for another one?
That's up to you! But problems with media is something you'll experience to a greater or lesser degree with any DVD recorder.

Rasczak said:
title the disc before you make the recording and, in the majority of cases, that will let you know if the disc will record properly or not.

I'm a tad confused; how will it let me know? :confused:

f the disc accepts the title then it will most probably record successfully

The best way (I find) to make the most of the E55 is to record your 'archive' to DVD-RAM, and then when you need to copy a film or TV prog, to copy it to DVD-R.
I own and use the equipment in my signature for this very purpose.

I've got an E55 and had similar problems at first until I started to use Ritek G04 or G05 dye discs but I still record the disc title BEFORE I record the programme/film to disc because it writes to the TOC of the disc and will (usually) highlight if theres going to be a problem before you go to all the trouble of making the recording.

I got my Ritek DVD-Rs from www.bigpockets.co.uk - think it was about £12 for 50 printable discs - so 24p per disc. www.svp.co.uk is the other good source for getting Ritek's (in fact they have 50 G05 dye printable 8X discs for £10)

Cliff

davee b said:
If the disc accepts the title then it will most probably record successfully

I'd written the title on the disc and, just today, it had given me the "REMAIN: 0:00" message.

One thing I was wondering...

If I had a DVD-Recorder with a hard drive, could I take my un-finalized discs to THAT recorder and just copy the shows from the disc to the recorder? (if the recorder with the hard drive was the same make than the first recorder, that is)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom