Having problems with my Panasonic DMR EH50

sonic99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi dudes,

I've just bought a Panasonic DMR EH50, it's my first DVD recorder and so I'm a bit lost.
Also have a panasonic plasma (TH42PA30).
Right, last night I was trying to change the connection over form scart to component.
I got the picture sorted fine, but I can't for the life of me get any sound through the telly.!! :(
I noticed on the plasma that when I play a DVD a small box appears in the top right hand corner with READ or PLAY and under that L R for the speakers, the L R don't appear when I change it to composite.! :confused:

Then my old DVD player used to be connection to my receiver (Pioneer VSX808) by coxial, the EH50 only has an optical out so I bought an optical cable and connected it up, but I'm getting nothing, the receiver doesn't seem to recognise any incoming sound. :(
The receivers manual does say the DVD default is coxial, but surely I can get the optical to work, it actually has printed next to the optical in on the receiver DTS/DD and the speakers symbol.!

Thanks for any help and remember talk to me like I'm 5 years old or I'll be well confused :D .
Cheers. :smashin:

sonic99 said:
Hi dudes,

I've just bought a Panasonic DMR EH50, it's my first DVD recorder and so I'm a bit lost.
Also have a panasonic plasma (TH42PA30).
Right, last night I was trying to change the connection over form scart to component.
I got the picture sorted fine, but I can't for the life of me get any sound through the telly.!! :(
I noticed on the plasma that when I play a DVD a small box appears in the top right hand corner with READ or PLAY and under that L R for the speakers, the L R don't appear when I change it to composite.! :confused:

Then my old DVD player used to be connection to my receiver (Pioneer VSX808) by coxial, the EH50 only has an optical out so I bought an optical cable and connected it up, but I'm getting nothing, the receiver doesn't seem to recognise any incoming sound. :(
The receivers manual does say the DVD default is coxial, but surely I can get the optical to work, it actually has printed next to the optical in on the receiver DTS/DD and the speakers symbol.!

Thanks for any help and remember talk to me like I'm 5 years old or I'll be well confused :D .
Cheers. :smashin:

You need to Read the manual for your amp and change the appropriate feed coaxial to optical - I am not familiar with your amp but it should be there under settings somewhere I would think. With this set-up you will only get sound from the dvd when the amp is on - to get sound from the TV using component you need to use the Red/white set of connections from the TV to the DVD recorder - component in itself - as no doubt you know - is picture only.
Regards

Thanks for you reply Dicky.
No I didn't know component is picture only. :eek: :oops:

I'll have a go again tonight when I get home.
Thanks again.

As you have changed over from Scart to component, assuming that you have used the same AV Channel, you can just re-insert the scart lead again and use it just for sound.

For example on my Viera I use AV4 with the component cables connected (for Video) and the scart still connected for the Audio.
You may need to toggle through the AV modes on AV4, just keep pressing the AV4 button (Blue I think), looking at the screen you see it change from
AV4 - Standard composite
AV4S - S-Video
AV4/RGB - Normal Scart RGB
and
AV4C or Component - for the 3 component inputs. (scart socket still active for audio)

Hope This Helps

Pete

Thanks g0pkh,

thats what I didn in the end, but then knocked it on the head and decided to pump the sound only through me receiver/amp.

Finally got that set up with the optical connection, the manuals can be a little obtuse.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Haven't even started trying to record on it yet :eek: So I'll be back.!! :) :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom