Having problems setting up my home cinema sytem

scarlet poppy

Standard Member
:lease: Hi boys, i'm having problems setting up my Home Cinema system. Again i need your
help please.

My system comprises of

Philips 56PFL9954 tv,
Pioneer LX83 amp,
KEF XQ5 5.1 speaker system inc KEF PSW3500
subwoofer,
Cambridge Audio BD650 blu ray player,
HUMAX HDR fox T2 freeview recorder,
with Chord epic twin speaker cables &
a mix of Wireworld Chroma 5 & Chord
supershield HDMI cables.

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to
set it all up so i have a choice of using the amp
with its surroud sound speakers or when just watching the more mundane tv programs, choosing to use the tv's perfectly adequate built in speakers. Both the blu ray player & freeview recorder appear to have only one HDMI socket which are currently being used to link them to the amp, with then only one HDMI cable from the amp to the tv.

Also since using the Pioneer amps microphone & auto set up program, it doesn't seem to utilise the subwoofer which now just sits sadly dormant. Any ideas :confused:

Sorry to sound so dumb boys but it's all new to me & my particular area of expertise is wedding dresses which is a far cry from Home Cinema :blush:.

Incidently, how do you rate my choice of components, do they match each other ok?:facepalm:

Please help boys :smashin:

christam

As far as the sub is concerned, have you set all speakers to "Small" in the initial setup before running MCACC? That should help the LX83 to recognise the sub in the system. Set the crossover on the amp to 80Hz to start with and see how that sounds.

I can't help with your other queries - I've got the same amp and use it all the time because I don't see the point of spending all that money and then not enjoying the goodness I've paid for :)

neoELITE

Novice Member
Your set top box has optical out, on the rear of the unit it should be marked S/PDIF (that's what it says on the manual).
http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/products/new_leaflet/HD-FOXT2_leaflet.pdf

Your amp has 3 x optical ins (S/PDIF). OPTICAL ASSIGNABLE

www.pioneer.eu/images/products/avamplifierreceiver/pioneer/sc-lx83-back.jpg

Using an optical cable, connect the set top box to the amp for audio and connect the set top box direct to the TV with hdmi. I have to do this with my Virgin set-top box and the Sky HD box needs the same set-up as they don't pass true 5.1 from the hdmi out. The new Xbox Slim has optical out too.

The blu-ray player also has optical out, do the same with this.
Specifications / Azur 650BD Blu-ray Universal Player / Azur / Products / Cambridge Audio
Although, I'm not sure why you'd want to do this with the blu-ray player. If you don't want full 5.1 when watching a blu-ray, you can always just select stereo on your amp.

It means you'll need to buy 2 x optical cables (S/PDIF) but like hdmi cables, you can just buy the cheap ones - it doesn't really matter if they're cheap (in my opinion).
Cable-Tex - Optical digital audio lead. SPDIF TOSLink: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Also, totally endorse using "small" for your speaker set-up. There's a great set up guide video on this site.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/video-productions/1178333-tutorial-av-receiver-amplifier-set-up.html

As for what your set-up consists of... it's whether or not you like it that matters. I am sure you'll love it once it's all set up correctly and to your requirements. On paper, it's a lot better than my set-up but then, I have a truly budget set-up.
With regards to your TV, there's a dedicated thread for owners on here
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1339427-philips-56pfl9954-owners-thread.html
With regards to your amp, it's a lovely amp that should, if you want it to, handle music just as well as 5.1 cinema sound (your speakers should give you some impressive sound if you hooked up a CD player into the mix or even just used your blu-ray player to play a CD). It wouldn't be out of place in a dedicated cinema room hooked up to a projector. Nice speakers coupled with a good TV. I'd certainly swap my set-up with yours in a heart beat.

Last edited by a moderator:

scarlet poppy

Standard Member
Great advice, i'll give it a try. I always intend to use the amp when watching via the blu ray player,it's only
certain tv programs such as the news or quizzes etc where i intend to use the tv speakers for sound in order
to save my amp & KEFs from working unnecessarily. Thanks.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Just use your amp/speakers for all viewing. You are putting no more wear on the amp/speakers by using them for all viewing. The improved sound quality will make all viewing more pleasureable.

neoELITE

Novice Member
Just use your amp/speakers for all viewing. You are putting no more wear on the amp/speakers by using them for all viewing. The improved sound quality will make all viewing more pleasureable.

You always say that. :laugh:

I have a vision of you putting your kids on the naughty step because they dared to watch TV without turning the amp on. One day they will rebel and listen to music using just a mobile phone, they will dance to the sound from a Nokia mobile phone speaker.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You always say that. :laugh:

I have a vision of you putting your kids on the naughty step because they dared to watch TV without turning the amp on. One day they will rebel and listen to music using just a mobile phone, they will dance to the sound from a Nokia mobile phone speaker.

My son knows better than not to put the amp on!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom