Having played the xbox 360...My thought on the next gen

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by artois, Nov 7, 2005.

1. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Since the announcement of the xbox 360 some months ago, I was instantly hungry for the next generation gaming has to offer. Then when the first few screenshots started to appear I was faced with suspicions that the games would not actually look like this. Here is when I started to worry. Not because the playable games might not look like the screens but more that they WOULD.

You see I am a keen gamer and have been for over 20 years now. I grew up with gaming as my "thing" so to speak and have watched in wonder and delight as each generation has come to pass, each time the next gen, getting better and better.

Now you may wonder why I would be worried about the new screenshots being gameplay footage as they are undeniably nice to look at, However there just isn't the gap between the current generation and the new generation that I would have hoped.

Having had ever console known to man except a famicom I unsurprisingly also own a fairly high end PC. Its nothing particularly special and is getting on a bit now but it can still play the latest games at high detail with resolutions between 1024*768 and 1280*1024. Mainly due to this was my initial worry that the screens didn't look all that much better than the games I am playing now, today.

Benefit of the doubt and all that I waited in baited breath until some proper Hi-def videos came along and yes I was surely impressed with how shiny the cars are in PG3 and at the amount of orcs on screen but still it didn't impress me the way I hoped it would.

Nonetheless I made my pre order with the hope that actually seeing the game right infront of my eyes with a wireless pad in my hand would tell a different story.

Now on to the glasgow hour show where I managed to get a single and a double session in with the new console totalling my playtime to 90 minutes of next-gen heaven...................or was it.

At the show I had a shot of the following games:

Need for speed most wanted
    Call of Duty 2
    Nba06
    Fifa06
    Tiger woods06
    Tony Hawks american wasteland
    Condemned
    Kink Kong
    Gun
    Dead or Alive 4
    Kameo
    Project Gotham 3
    Perfect Dark Zero

The simple answer to that is No...no it wasn't.

I mean yeah it was nice to see the new console for the first time in all its glory and almost every game was running in hi-def bar a couple of tvs which the cables had broken on and were running the console at standard 480 (not good on a hi def tv by the way, eugh!!!). However even running at 720p the games weren't jaw dropping to look at.

When you consider the leap between the ps1 and the ps2 it really was quite substantial, however I felt that graphically, these games looked little more than a gap the size between the ps2 and original xbox. Take the comparison of Project gotham 2 on xbox and project gotham 3 on 360.

The real differences are quite clear, but not all that phenomenal.

Better lighting
    Shinier cars
    smoother edges (on hi def)
    more crowd in numbers and realism
    inside the car view

All of the above are indeed improvements but they are only what I would consider to be implemented in such a way that they could be classed as marginal improvement.

It sounds harsh to say that and of course there are other things to take into consideration such as how much you can fit on screen, artificial intelligence, physics etc. but graphics are what get people enthusiastic about the prospect of a new console.

Now obviously not all people are interested in a new console for better graphics as long as the gameplay is up to par and as a gamer I agree with this to a degree but graphics are important. Particularly when you think of a gaming generational leap.

When you first show some one a new console, the first think they will say, with out a doubt, is "look at the graphics" or "those graphics are amazing".
    With these points in mind the question that has been asked so many times can finally be answered.

Has the next generation of gaming come to early??

Personally I feel that having a hands on experience with the 360, I can now confirm that, IMHO yes. It certainly has.

Dent get me wrong, I am very pro xbox 360 and the original xbox is my favorite out of all the original consoles. Plain and simply however, it just feels like a let down.

It appears to me that the biggest aspect of the xbox 360 is based around the fact that it supports Hi definition tvs and games are created with 720p in mind.

It is one thing to applaud microsoft for trying to push the technology in this direction but it is another to pat them on the back when they are so clearly relying on it as the basis for the next generation which they offer.

The problem I have with this is that, HD gaming has been around for years. Everyone has been doing it on their PC monitors without even thinking about it.
    Then microsoft come along and state that their new console is hi definition and all games will be able to run at 720p.

Having seen it first hand all I can say to that is Whoopeedoo. Yes the graphics are highly defined, yes, they are very sharp on this kind of tv.No they dont look like a next generation of graphics.

They look better than console graphics as we know them now but the difference in my opinion is no where near enough to signify the arrival of next generation gaming.

I do feel its early but the fact is the next generation of gaming has arrived. Personally I feel it should be introduced as the Hi definition generation of gaming as it doesn't quite have the generational gap that one might hope for without this feature to set it apart from the previous generation.

I know that it can take developers a while to get used to a console and the launch line up doesn't necessarily reflect the true capabilities of a console but at the very least it gives you a fair idea of what to expect.

Afar as the launch line up goes, it seems there will be a few good games, none great. Some nice to look at, others... well at least they look sharp if you can afford it.

In a nutshell, the next generation of gaming is here, Hi definition gaming is here. Is it good? Yes. Is it great? The answer is not yet.

The xbox 360 does have the potential but its just a little disappointing how small the gap is between the last generation which is still producing some excellent titles.

While this rant may have sounded somewhat like an attack on the 360 I must make it clear that I have mine preordered for launch day and I am sure that I will grow to love it.

I love games and at the end of the day, if this is as good as the next generation is going to be, then what choice does little old me have. As disappointed as I am at the moment, The xbox 360 is undeniably going to be better than this generation but how much better it can get, still remains to be seen.

2. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm not intending to have a go at what you have written, and infact it's nice that you've taken the time to let us know your thoughts, but these are the reasons why these first impressions are largely (in my opinion) pointless.

1) Compare Tekken on the original playstation to Tekken 3. Or compare Ridge Racer to Gran Tourismo (graphics not gameplay - because your critique was based purely on aesthetics). Compare the original launch line-up of the PS2 with stuff coming out now - no comparison. See a pattern emerging? Systems are rarely firing on all cylinders with launch day releases. I remember first getting my PS2, getting Starwars Starfighter, with its choppy framerate and dodgy graphics and thinking 'this is next-gen?!?!' I think the only thing that I got on launch that looked amazing was Starwars Rogue Leader on Gamecube. Now that did show-off the hardware, but it's an exception.

2) Programmers rarely push the hardware to its limits on new hardware. How did the original Halo look half as graphically stunning as Halo 2 I wonder? They are just getting used to the new system, it's hardly surprising.

3) It's been widely reported that the first X360 games are only going to be using one core. That's 1/3 of its processing power.

Yes it still remains to be seen. Unfortunately time travel isn't possible yet but if past generations are anything to go by I think we're going to be seeing some sweet games for this system over the next two years, and if you have a HD display and 5.1 they'll look and sound even sweeter ;)

3. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, long post there.

Artois, I for one totally agree with you and share your frustrations on this - The 360 screenshots and vids are just a step up and no more from the original X-Box, and yes, without doubt this is the most underwhelming 'next-gen wow factor' in terms of graphical improvement that there has been.

So yes, the next-gen has been rushed, especially from Microsoft - It is ironic that Sony are desperately in need of a next gen with their outdated current system, while Microsoft have in many ways sold the original X-Box short in cutting it's shelf life as the flagship console.

Also, the reasons for Microsoft's haste are obvious and make good business sense, to steal a match on market leader Sony and build up a substantial userbase before the PS3 launches - And with this rush to get on the market first, comes pressure on games developers to follow suit - Whatever people say about the development tools being good, the games developers have been asked to do things very quickly, and not surprisingly they are producing spruced up current gen titles, several of them ports.

So in terms of the games, yes, these launch titles are going to be even less impressive than the usual launch fare - But here's the thing:

We are getting our hands on an amazing piece of kit - This 360 is going to be so much better than the first X-Box in so many ways; the hardware itself, the graphics card, the processer, is amazing by current PC standards - Before the PC has always been ahead technology wise to new consoles, what was the PS2's processer and memory again? Anyone?

So believe me, the unimpressiveness of the games, the lack of that obvious wow factor, is down to lack of time and developers not even remotely understanding how to code for the new processer - they know how to rush out a spruced up FIFA, and thats what they have done.

The question that this does beg though, is how wise we all are to get it at launch, as opposed to when it is 100 quid cheaper, and the next gen of gaming truly has arrived.

So for me, the true next generation of gaming won't have arrived this December, but the hardware will have! :smashin:

The Constantly revolving term 'Next Gen' (as far back as I can remember)

Nes - Master System

to

Megadrive - Snes

to

Playstation - N64

to

Dreamcast - Playstation 2 - X-Box - Gamecube

to

360 - PS3? - Revolution?

I totally agree that the initial batch of 360 games have the smallest graphical gap between current gen and next gen, and graphics are what the next gen difference has always been defined by and sold on at the beginning.

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Bloody Hell, it's only a games machine you know, your frankly depressing comments make it sound like your life is going to fall apart because you're not impressed with the 360. I've enjoyed gaming for 25 years and I never get depressed with the way the market is going, It's just staggering how graphics have improved over the years and the 360 is just the next phase in gaming and I can't wait to get hold of one even though I only get to play games about 4-5 hours a week nowadays.

5. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who are you talking to, eh? :confused: :rolleyes:

6. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for your comments

I do know its early but think of tekken 3 on the ps1 and think of tekken tag tournament on the ps2. The difference was overwhelming in comparrison to the change in the titels you mentioned.

Again, look at goldeneye N64 of the playstation era and Halo of the xbox generation, Leaps and bounds comes to mind.

It cant be denied that the gap is smaller and yes It does take developers time to get to grips with a new console. As I stated, I have no doubt that there will be some excellent games down the line as this is always the case. As for now, many people are interested in the capabilities of the new console.

It will be interesting to see how it performs when it is using the 3 cores but at the moment, this is all anyone can go by and the fact that my experience is down to actual hands on game play, this is as truthfull and relevant I can be when commenting on the 360 at this time. Who knows whats round the corner......

7. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I echo these views - I'm not sure the 360 is a big enough jump from current gen.

PS3 however, if we can judge it by the Killzone demo... looks awesome...

8. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If thats all it takes to depress you, I can only suggest two things. Valium or Prozac. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As my life is still fully in tact I thought I might actually take advantage of this forum and uh... Use it as a forum. A place to inform and discuss and converse with others about certain topics. Correct me if I am wrong Korum but this is the xbox and xbox 360 section isnt it. :hiya:

I thought I would share my opinion with the forum to give another perspective on the new launch as I have played the console. Just because Microsoft says its the next great thing doesnt mean it will be. I for one will be supporting the next generation regardless of how big a difference in graphics there are. I just thought I would mention the situation as I perceive it at present.

9. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I personally didn't think that Tekken Tag on PS2 was that much superior than Tekken 3 on the PS1 though. I was totally underwhelmed. I remember thinking that Onimusha on PS2 could have ran on a Playstation without that much change, as it wasn't much of a step up from playing Resident Evil 2 on PS (forced view, pre rendered backgrounds etc). Compare that with Devil May Cry which came out later, and there's no way that could be made to run on PS.

The thing you aren't taking into account is the superior online options with Microsoft. Sony are way behind with this, and if the Sony president is anything to go by they don't care too. The X360 has been made with online gaming to be one of the primary functions of they system - and I donn't think the original Xbox Live was too shabby.

First game I ever played on live was the Mechassault demo. Being in that gaming arena with 7 other players from around the world was truly amazing. Seeing the massive explosions, going off as three large mechs explode and take several skyscrapers with them were some of the most fun times I've ever had gaming - and all the time over the headset you could hear everyone else being amazed but everyone seeing the carnage from their own perspective. This is going to be even more amazing with X360, which is why I have no reservations about getting one.

I can't see what there is to be disappointed with to be honest. The next leap forward will be some difference to the way games are played - which online gaming is (kind of). But the big leap will be online virtual reality, 3D gaming, or something similar that is a completely new kind of game experience (I mean Eyetoy is still lots of fun). At the moment even for those of us who are HD enhanced, all we are watching is 2d displays with 2d games and with each generation it'll seem aesthetically even less of a big improvement. I kind of take that as a given, rather than be disappointed by it.

10. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Online gaming is getting more mainstream thanks to live and is beggining to take off but, we have had this since xbox so its not really relevant to the generational differences between the new and old. It may have some new features but those are live specific, not so much that it is a new capability of the 360.

11. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Each generation IMO will find it harder to impress. Over the years the graphics have been improving step by step and as you say this happens to be the next step. Graphics on current gen, when you think about it, are beginning to approach reality so the gap wont be as noticeable, certainly in the 1st batch titles as has been mentioned.

Matt

12. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    calm down calm down....... :)

Technology has come on a long way since the PS2 and indeed Xbox were launched and your quite right to expect BIG things from next gen consoles. Thing is I think some time we think we should be all walking around in virtual world and games looking exactly like movies etc etc. As mentioned before in the thread it is very very rare you see anywhere near what the hardware can do on launch day. It wont be untill late 2006/7 before we start to see what 360 can actually do, the hardware is there I believe its the developers who hold they key to giving you TRUE next gen visuals. In between now and then however we will see small improvements and thus will maybe not appreciate how far its come over next year unless you compare two games 12 months apart. Im sure I read before somewhere that developers havent figured out how to utilise the 360s 6 hardware threads available and are in some cases only using one or two. Even games like the visual stunner PGR3 wont be making the 360 hot under the collar and almost causing melt down.

Look at this way all you lucky people who own a HDTV only see the benefit of it when someone streams a HD feed to it therefore you know the hardware is ok but your only gonna see a good pic when the broadcaster sorts there end out. I wouldnt blame Samsung,sony etc etc for a crap Sky+ pic when its because sky isnt HD yet. Its a stupid way to put it but i think you get what im on about.

Im sure it will be great on launch day and can only get better.

13. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I agree that it is getting harder to improve the graphics but I do not feel we are any where near as good as they will become. not even slightly. As someone mentioned earlier the 360 has clearly been rushed my MS to get a head start on sony and in doing so are not as advanced as they might/could have been. I will still be a supporter of the xbox 360 and more than likely the ps3 also but I just feel that there shurely must be room for improvement over what is on show, even at this early stage in the life of the 360.

14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I think when people run their XBOX's next to their 360's, (especially if they have a HDTV), they'll appreciate the jump in graphics/sound.

15. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Even though I have mentioned the initiall issues I have with the system this will not stop me from spending hours in front of my tv with it. I certainly agree, come launch day i am sure I will like many of you, be smiling like a cheshire cat.

16. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But I'd like all my eggs in one basket :D (or I may be misunderstanding that, but...). I personally think that compared to XBox live, Sonys PS2 online functions are downright poor, and I don't like gaming on my PC. There's only one avenue to go down in that case, because Sony aren't exactly being pro-active with wanting to make the online experience any better. Didn't the Sony president say something about online gaming being new and not of primary interest to todays gamers. That doesn't sound very forward thinking.

I also do feel that this is a great generational difference of this new hardware. It's the first system out of the box that allows a user to get online with the new console, and furthermore it's been designed with online functions in mind. Sure you could go online with Dreamcast, but this is a complete world-apart from that. And PS2 and Xbox online was an after-thought - this is not.

The other thing that some people are completely underestimating is HD gaming. This is the first console to allow you to play games on your HD compatible set. I do agree that if I didn't have my HD telly, I probably wouldn't be as excited to get my hands on the console as I am, but I do have a HD telly so it not only allows me for the first time to use a piece of HD hardware along with my TV, it also allows me to see the games in HD, as intended for the first time. A small piece of history :smashin:

I can understand you waiting for the PS3 (what other options will there be - Nintendo Revolution?) but I really don't think the differences will be that great (haven't Sony now locked the spec of the PS3), and if reports are to be believed, the architecture of the PS3 will mean some of it's power will be compromised. This could be Microsoft spin, but after being stung with the PS2 at launch, after the talk of the emotion engine and Toy Story quality graphics :rolleyes:, then playing the launch games I wouldn't trust Sony electronics as far as I could kick a Playstation 2 (and that's bloody far I can tell you) :D

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,633
    Interesting read,

I have just loaded up Half Life 2 on my PC and it looks fantrastic at 1280 x 1024. The graphics are superb and the AI and pysics of the objects is superb.

I don't expect the next gen to be much more different as the better the consoles get, the smaller the gap between the last on gets, as once you get reflections, shadows, better physics, better AI etc, then there aren't that many things you can improve on, only make it more refined.

What I am looking forward to is the new ideas, such as gotham TV, being able to watch other people without actually joining in. Also the new xbox dashboard looks top, as well as classic arcade games, whether they are as good as you remember is to been seen.

I am waiting for the day when you can have a race from Edinburgh to London, passing your house on the way using real time data streamed from satellite, or even just from satellite photos, where you can experience all the scenery and weather on the way, now that will be impressive.

18. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's exactly my way of thinking and probably why I won't be disappointed at launch. And the new ideas will be inspired by having more power in the hardware. Hardly likely to be from the off as the software developers have been rushed into producing games for launch, but over the next twelve months I reckon we'll get some really nice stuff coming along. I'd like to see spectator mode in a football game where you can watch a match with 11 online players against 11 online players (or ten vs ten if you have cpu controlled goalies). Would be great to sit in the virtual stand of your favourite team :)

19. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    That would be very very cool

20. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.

Mone of the current 360 games are wow. I think this will change when gen 2/3 games come out. Most seem to be xbox upgrades or pc ports at the moment. I think the 360 will have long legs and graphics will get better and better. It has lots of grunt.

21. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    MS is in a quandry, the xbox has lots of life left in it (certainly more so than ps2). We're really seeing amazing games on xbox just as the 360 is on its way (halo2, farcry, half life 2). Problem is the xbox is still far behind ps2 in terms of software sales. With the ps3 on its way MS took a purely business decision to release a next gen product early. IMO this is the only way MS can hope to take an early lead. The problem with this is the 360 doesnt have the impact some would hope (at least graphically). I believe the initial batch of games will be graphically underwhelming, but future games should improve significantly.

The only time i can remember being wowed by the next generation was from the transition from 16 bit sprite based games to 3d gaming of the ps1/saturn/n64 era. This was because it was a true change in technology, a completely new way of visualising and playing our games. The 3d revolution was the defining moment in video games, I doubt we'll see another such defining moment.

This is about our expectations, I dont expect to blown away by 360 (impressed, but not amazed) so I wont be disappointed when I'm playing this december.

22. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lock the thread, I think drskhaled has just made THE definitive post on this issue! :clap:

23. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I remember the Panasonic 3DO drawing crowds at Game in Manchester before its release. Now going from Snes to that seemed amazing at the time :)

24. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I meant that online gaming isnt necessarily a factor which shows a generational leap as we already have xbox live with xbox, crap bradband facilities on ps2 and of course the PC. It already here. Wether sony choose to create something like live is another story.

Regarding HD. I feel that console HD gaming is grossly overrated having seen it in action, yeah it looks good, but Xbox looked great and wasnt in HD so it isnt all that important. I feel that the other technical abillities should be embraced instead of developers exploiting the use of HD and 720 relying on that as a great way to boost the quality of their title. As I have a decent PC and have always kept on top of that to play the latest games as they should in Hi-Def. HD on the 360 isnt really a big deal to me regarding it as a next generation function. It seems like microsoft release are relying on alot of people thinking that it is a big deal. Of course HD looks better than standard but is it really all that necessary. I just mean that the rest of the graphical capabilites as shown at present arent a huge improvement on current generations and HD is the consoles saving grace making it appear to be more advanced than it actually is. I really do think that HD is being far to hyped regarding the consoles launch.

It certainly is a nice feature but it is one i feel is being overemphasised to get the attention of the new console as the games just arent quite up to expectations. Although pushing forward HD is a good thing it is still expensive to get into if you want to do it properly. I for one will be using my 42" 480p plasma rahter than a small lcd. Next year I will hopefully get aproper HD tv by which point the games availible may be able to boast alot more than simply being 720p. It just seems everyone is getting way to carried away about the 360 and HD which again makes me feel even more strongly about the next generations early arrival as HD tv hasnt even taken of here yet and to buy a set at the moment would cost mega bucks.

25. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is all subjective though. I don't game on my PC, and I have a HDTV so for me it'll be a grand leap to play HD games on my LCD telly. I've not had the chance to play any HD through my tv yet, so just seeing something running at 720p is going to be an event :)

Because you are a PC gamer it's not so much of a deal, and also because your plasma isn't HD ready you won't be playing games at full resolution. Hence not so much of a big leap.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of people out there will be underwhelmed by the X360 when they get it home and play it on their CRTs, especially if they are used to playing games on their PC with a decent TFT screen.

Am I in the minority rather than the majority?

Well I've been amazed by the amount of non-techy people who think the X360 looks amazing - but this shouldn't be too surprising. Most people I know have a PS2 for gaming and only use a PC for sending emails and surfing the net, so it's natural for these people to be impressed as they're going from PS2 >>> Xbox360.

26. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I doubt that even non techy people will be highly impressed with the 360 launch games if they arent using HD displays. Dont get me wrong, the 360 games look good, they do look better than xbox games and the console is of course better than the last generation. There is no debate there. I am just saying that the differences from the ofset are very marginal.

As far as my gaming habits go, I am more of a console player than anything else and have only in recent years got into pc gaming. I must admit I do only play First person shooters but these all get displayed in hi definition and the xbox 360 games in HD looked as good but not better than a game I can pick up and play right now. I know pc gamers have always had the opportunity for better graphics given the configurations of a PC but when this console is pinning its early hopes on HD to make it appear better, this as a feature really isnt all that important.

Imagine you didnt have an HD tv, take into consider what the graphics look like when not in HD and you will see what I mean about the difference in quality. It is only when the game is run in HD that you truly notice a difference, but again, IMO, having played wth PC resolutions, it isnt an impressive leap at all.

I am not saying the 360 is rubbish and you may well be impressed with it having never seen an HD game before but it really isn't the step forward that you might have been lead to believe. As others and myself have pointed out, 12 months down the line when the console gets going it will undoubtebly be more iimpressive.

27. gowdewiz

gowdewiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I totally agree with you booth.

It's unfair to compare it to a PC when looking for improvements. Unless you want to compare it to a PC that costs you £280 that is? If you've got a PC that can play top spec games then why get a 360 anyway?

The step up that the 360 is making is for those people that are only console gamers (me included). For those of us that like to chill on the settee 10 ft from the screen to play the difference in graphics will be much bigger. Personally I sit at a PC 8 hours a day at work, and the last thing i want to do when i get in is get back on one (unless the mrs is using the tele for eastenders or whatever junk is flavour of the day ;) ) - when it comes to gaming a console is the only way to relax and play.

As has been said - the early games are only tickling what the hardware can do. There's good reason games like Oblivion and GR3 have been pushed back and that's because the developers are finding more and more ways to do things better and they're prepared to delay the game to make sure they release something that's up to scratch - once the developers get to grips with it we should really start to see what its capable of, and that's the time to judge it.

28. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    EDIT - note, posted before I saw gowdewiz's reply

I know this has been said before but you are talking about a £209 piece of kit. How much was your PC and high resolution TFT monitor?

I don't think that I will be too disappointed because to be honest my expectations aren't that high from the outset. I'm just seeing it as a direct upgrade from the Xbox, as I love Xbox Live and like my Xbox. Now whether the majority will be as forgiving will probably be a different story, but y'know it depends on what they're used to in the first place. I severely doubt that the X360 running on a CRT telly won't trounce a PS2 running on the same telly. Look at the specs! :eek:

29. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I am not comparing it to a pc I am comparing it to the previous generation of consoles. I was mearly commenting about HD gaming not being such a big deal. Somehow everyone thinks it is. I only use the PC for FPS. My passion are racing games and FPS titles although my tastes are quite varied.

I chill on the couch with my xbox and my 42" tv which is what I play all 3 of my consoles on. Just because I play the occasional title on a PC does not alienate me from being a console gamer. I have played the 360 gave my opiniion and all I keep hearing is HD this and PC gamer> I am a console gamer who has experienced Hi def games on my PC set up. I am explaining the differences and telling you what I thought of the 360 hands on.

If you compare the price of a pc to an xbox 360 its obviously alot cheaper.
    However, when you take into consideration the price of a large HD tv you are talking going over £1000 at least for a good setup.

When its not in HD you wont notice such a difference.

Not so cheap now is it...... :eek: :eek:

I really dont think that ever came into question. Xbox was better than ps2. xbox 360 will be better than xbox. Just not necessarily the kind of "Next-Gen" better. on a lighter note my PSP could trouse the ps2. Its old hat nowadays..

If im gonna invest £280 I think now would be a great time to judge it.

30. skap7309

skap7309
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I couldnt agree more with may of these comments, i think with mass media hype etc it creates a huge fantasy world that 'next -gen' will be amazing with unbelievable visuals, sound and general technology. Its happened with every new console thats come out.
    A good example i was watching an old gamesmaster with dominic diamond on challenge tv the other month and the world was waiting in awe for the SNES to come out, and in a 'world first' showed a clip of what mario would look like, describing the graphics as 'stunning 3D'.
    Anyway, peoples expectations are always unnaturally high (think of the fiat owner who dreams of getting a audi, then the audi owner who dreams of getting a ferrari etc etc) whatever you've got is not quite good enough, and after a few months of everyone owning a 360, people may well wish they'd saved their money once the up & coming ps3 media panic starts.
    Bottom line is, people naturally think the grass is greener on the other side..........