1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having my RPTV seviced today

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by scooby do, Mar 20, 2003.

1. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am having a Sony agent service my KP44 ps2 I have convergence errors and bowing of the picture. I have AVIA set up disk which is NTSC so he should be able to get NTSC set up ok can he simply copy the settings over to the PAL setup or should he bring his own set up disc - signal generator. Also does he need to set up the geometry for Wide/zoom/smart/ 4/3 etc. I am a bit nervous that he is going to spend 5 minutes and leave. What amount of errors are acceptable.

Thanks

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think alot of it is down to which Sony agent you get. Some will only want to spend 5 minutes and say that "this is acceptable" etc. and some will do a great job.

Does the KP44 ps2 not have a service menu floating around. The Toshiba serivce menu is very helpful and enables almost anyone to fix their rear projection woes.

Good luck! Tell us how you get on!

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well did not get on well. Guy says never worked on one of those. Starts poking around and starts adjusting the convergence using the text displayed when in the service mode! I question this and he calls his head office who puts him right that he should use cross hatch! Tv now is worse he says he will have to take the set away and it will be set up at their head office. I explain that the TV will then be transported back and will need doing again in the home. He states that the settings are saved !This guy did not have a clue. Tv now has bright white horizontal lines coming from bright objects on the scene. Anyone know anyone who can set this baby up.

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phone his boss and tell him you are very unhappy indeed and will expect better treatment than this, or you will go to BBC's Watchdog programme...

There's no excuse for treatment like that!

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, i have had visit from an engineer today (Sony approved).
    My girlfriend had to phone me at work to ask how to access the service menu. The 'engineer' didn't know how:eek:
    The problem has not been fixed (see previous thread) and he left after 45 minutes(after fiddling with the non service menu?!?) saying he would have to speak to someone more experienced and it looks like it will have to go to the workshop for repair. To say i am a little worried is understating things.
    Good job there is no call out charge.

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Captain, how come no call out charge I recently bought one of these and have had to stump up the call out charge even though the "engineer" made the very small problem a lot lot worse. Where did you purchase from?

7. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello again Scooby Doo.
    I am using a local service engineer (Sony approved)
    Decided not to go down the 1 year warranty route as it was obvious i had been messing around with the sevice menu. Apparently, this invalidates any guarantee.
    The company i used advertises no call out charge and free repair estimates. (which is just as well 'cause they have not been much use thus far:thumbsdow )

8. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting up the geometry on a WS set in the home is actually quite tricky...

Perfect geometry on 16.9 does not mean it's replicated on 4.3 pictures.

However it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a global TV brand like Sony to sort it.

Complain long and loud....