Having more projector inputs?

binbag

Welcome to the forums.:hiya:

Without knowing what PJ you have this can't be an exact answer but generally; yes. The phono is a composite video feed and is basically the lowest quality signal that you can input to your PJ. Magnified to your screen it could look truly horrible but even the most basic switchbox should be able to switch between composite sources.

If you supply details of your PJ, sources and budget there is a fair chance someone on here will have a better solution.

av12

Standard Member
I am considering getting a Epson TW-420 projector. Does anyone know if this setup will work?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
It will work, but as binbag has pointed out, you will only be getting composite video from all your sources, which is about the worse quality video you could use and will look horrible on the big screen.

As Binbag said, post what you want to connect (sources) and the forum can probably come up with a ideal solution for you.

av12

Standard Member
OK. I believe on the projector I mentioned before has a HDMI input. Could I buy cables to do the exact same thing, and will the quality of output look better?

If so, could someone list links to where I could buy these cables (preferrably Maplin).

The main things I would like to connect would be: Freeview, PS3, DVD player and maybe PC input.

turnamere

Standard Member
I had the same problem with my setup, PJ had one HDMI input, AV Amp had no HDMI switching and I had 3 bits of kit with HDMI out.

I didn't want to change my Amp so I bought a 3 way HDMIm switch from here HDMI cables, HDMI switchers and HDMI adapters, it auto switches if you have one bit of kit at a time switched on, but also has a remote. One metre leads from each item to the switch and a ten metre HDMI routed above the ceiling to the projector.

If you are buying an AV Amp to complement your PJ it will almost certainly switch HDMI and upscale component leaving you with a single connection to PJ.

Last edited:

binbag

OK. I believe on the projector I mentioned before has a HDMI input. Could I buy cables to do the exact same thing, and will the quality of output look better?

If so, could someone list links to where I could buy these cables (preferrably Maplin).

The main things I would like to connect would be: Freeview, PS3, DVD player and maybe PC input.

What I have used for several years to tie my HC together is an Iscan HD scaler. As well as providing my sources with better level feeds (component & RGB for example) its given me the one cable hook up to my PJ. I get the best out of your lesser sources via its VP circuitry as well as extra picture control options (aspect ratio, zoom and pan) and a bunch of test screens for checking the input at any time. Although not at the leading edge of video technology anymore I'd still recommend getting one to anybody with multiple sources of different standards. You can get a used one for about £100 - £150 these days.

If all your sources have HDMI outputs then a HDMI switch (or AV amp with this capability) is the way to go

Last edited:

av12

Standard Member
Is there any way of connecting Sky to a projector using HDMI without having a Sky box. E.g. Sky is in the livingroom, cable to connect to sky on projector through aerial point?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom