Having Fun With BD808s!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I was just reading a post on AVS forums, about a guy asking for some advice about his Barco 808.

I was curious because it turned out he was running it with no scaler.
    He was just connecting it to his DVD player via Svideo!.(on port 2)

I just HAD to try it. :D

I went direct from my Pioneer 737, via a Svideo lead.
    After setting it all up (Geo/converg/contrast) etc. I then flicked between my Quadscan Elite running in tripling mode, and the direct feed.

Well it was like the Cine 7 at the "Event". The picture went from a jittery black lined picture, to a super smooth clear picture with much more detail!.

I expect the reason why you see more detail is due to the way CRTs work. On the interlaced direct feed, the picture lines move/twitter. Standing further back in the room, the image didn't seem so bad. The reason why you can see more detail via the QSE must be due to progressive scanning. This stops the "twittering" in it's tracks, and the scaling gets rid on the big black lines.

The biggest advantage of this demonstration, is that i was able to show the wife why you need a processor for a CRT. She was quite amazed at the difference.
    I then slipped in the fact that i was maybe after a new "Centre Stage" processor soon. And that it was going to make the image even better!. :devil:

I will now start my demo's using the Svideo feed first, then switch over to the QSE!!!

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Good luck:D

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,362
    Does that mean there maybe a QSE for sale soon?:rolleyes: Remember who has first dabs;)

4. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul what Screen are you using now you've got a CRT?

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Using a Barco 808s direct via Svideo is a waste of a good machine. But to be fair he may not have been able to afford a scaler yet etc. But it just never occured to me that you could do it.

Roland, does my 808s have a built in doubler? (ie on port 2/Svideo?)

Graham
    I'm using "Dulux's finest" brilliant white emulsion!. (over the top of my Ice Storm 5) :D

I do intend to get a Stewart 1.3 gain fixed screen sometime this year. (eric seems to like them)

I will have to speak to Gordon about a demo of this and other screen material choices etc. I just seems me and money don't enjoy company for long enough!.:p

6. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul,

Are you using your HTPC with any of those Screen shots or are they with the Quadscan?

Also have you got a link for the Quadscan web site?

Cheers,

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
  8. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul!

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You would be surprised how many people don't use any kind of scaling. The 808 has been around for a few years now, and affordable video processors are relatively new as is the ability to use powerfull enough PC. A former member here called Si-tec used one without any scaling I seem to remember. There are a few 808 users in my area who have never used any kind of scaling and are happy with the results. Can't say I would be though.

Rob.

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Rob, i agree.(now i've seen the difference!)
    I think i have been fortunate to have been well advised from the start with my foray into CRTs.(Gordon/Roland....all of AVforums!)

I think scalers become more important the larger the tube size and spec etc. Ie most video grade don't need scalers(or can even use them). But once you get to data grade, and electro-magnetic focus things start to change.
    Over the last week with my continual tweeking, i have managed to take my picture sharpness to levels i just didn't think CRTs where capable of. I have scan lines visable at 720p and at 1024x768, so i know i could go slightly higher. But i think i will stick at these resolutions, to maintain sharpness.

God only knows what Rolands 1209s are capable of!.

As for running an 808s via Svideo only, then it's up to the individual. As i said before, it didn't look to bad from a distance.
    I try not to judge other peoples preferences. Because just when i think i have a handle on something, i end up reading something and realise i know very little!. :D

11. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree, most people seem to settle on either 720 or 768 as a preferred sweetspot for an 808. I guess it depends on tube condition and age. Another point is that it depends how good the scaling source is. I find a Quadscan considerably softer than a PC. I can see scanlines at 768 on a PC if I put my nose up to the screen, whereas I can't see any on a Quad at 720.

From what I have heard, 960p seems to be a good res on a 1209, again depending on condition. This is what Jenz and a few others were using. A friend of mine has just aquired a 1209, but I've yet to see it.

Regards Rob.

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As a general rule a really well setup 808s with new tubes* should be able to resolve 960 lines but it takes time.

Older tubes** would be better suited to 700-800 lines as they become a bit soft.

If you can see 768 lines on the PC, the eletronic focus for the quadscan needs adjusting.

*For new tubes I mean less than 2000 hrs for a HC projector and less than 500 on an exrental.

** Older tubes particularly the 808 (non s) 2000 hrs plus.

Barco 1209 series just start to warm up at 960 lines ;) :rolleyes:

13. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I assume with all these figures you're talking 16:9 screen.
    With a 4:3 screen you can fit more lines in without them touching - 960 on an 808
    Can you confirm Roland?

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry all the above were for 16x9 screens using the full width of the phospher and with normal off axis projection.

15. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Paul, how do you find the internal scaler compared to the Quad you have??

thx

Gary

Panny AE-100 > Barco 808S in less than month, eager or nuts!!

16. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Gary,
    There is no comparison!, the image from the QSE gives the image a solid near film like look.(ie no scan lines)

But i would say the image via Svideo does seem a little sharper. This may be a false perceived sharpness though, due to the scan lines and "edgy-ness" of the picture etc.

Could i live with the Svideo feed?(line doubled)
    Well yes, as it still beats many "other" types of projector images i've seen.
    It's just once you see the difference with the Quadscan, it's like looking at a "TV type image" then "film"!.

The only problem with the QSE is the de-interlacing isn't up there with the best processors. But baring in mind how much it cost in comparison, it's very good. It will be interesting to see how the new replacement for the Quadscan the "Centre Stage" improves on image quality.

17. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Paul,

Thx for your reply. I guess I'll add a quad to my shopping list. Only gonna run a 5ft maybe a six foot screen at most but I might use my PC for now as I'm saving for Roland to come and do his magic :) Hopefully that will be next week as my Barco sure is big on the floor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.