1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having full on dilemma choosing first Amp!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jonmurgie, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've finally had enough of my All-In-One DVD/Amp/Speaker setup (some Philips model that came and went quietly I think!) and have started venturing down the separates route. I'm pretty decided on the speakers side of things (have mission fronts/centre and the Velodyne CHT-10 Sub I'm picking up this weekend) with rears being added soon, it's just the Amp I'm struggling to decide on...

Basically, I don't really want to push the boat out too far and have been looking into the Denon 1705 and the Yamaha RX-V450 as good sub £200 amps.. but am un-decided and always concerned that for an extra £50 you get better and so on... so I'm just after some sensible guidance really

System will be used for Movie's 80% of the time and Music 20% of the time if that's any help... also I'd like to order one today so I have it for the weekend and the sub arrival :)

Thanks in advance...

Cheers
    Jon

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I believe the Pioneer 814 would suit you well, it can be had for about £211 I believe, if you shop around.

The RXV450 isn't a bad amp either, nor is the 1705, but the 814 should out perform them on the movie front.

3. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i believe the 1705 is £170 on empiredirect at the mo...well i hope so cos i want one for my birthday

4. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hmm im pretty much in the same position as jon murgie.

I had initially looked at the pioneer 812 as an alternative to the 1705 and yamaha (because it had excellent reviews, auto setup and looked very nice)

Unfortunatly the 812 is now unavailble anywhere ive looked, with the 814 as its replacement... however reviews of the 814 Ive read have criticized its performance with movies claiming it lacks finesse with softer details in the soundtracks - its is also disapointingly ugly. I just wondered what makes you reccommend the 814 over the denon or the yamaha if youd read a review or similar?

5. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    From my experience and those of my friends they have gone for Denon & Yamaha and don't rate Sony or Pioneer for their AV Amps... so as Vila mentions, what do you feel the Pioneer will offer over the other 2?

The 1705 is indeed £170 on the Empiredirect site though they do not have stock :(

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    For that price are you supprised??

iM glad im not the only person who thinks the 814 has fallen out of the ugly tree and hit the ugly ground hard :eek: My old 810 was sooo much better looking then the 814!!

The 2105 is worth the extra but again empire have none in stock (next cheapest is £299) so that only leaves the rxv450. I would have recommended the sony 795 but htere have been to many owners complaining about strange buzzing noises from it:nono:
    Cheapest marantz ar £300 so no going there.

OH dear I seem to have gotten oin my Yamaha soapbox again :blush: :zonked:

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Pioneers older budget av amps had a reputation of not being as good as the competition, but the x14 series has moved things on quite a lot. As for Pioneer not being as good as Denon or Yamaha, one only needs to listen to the 1014, 2014 and AX5ai to realise that isn't true :).

The 814 is not for those who prefer delicate sounds, but for those who like their movies loud and proud. It is also a class above the 1705 and the 450. The pioneer in the same class would be the 714.

I do have to admit the 814 is one ugly thing though.

The 814 is an exciting amp, but yes, it isn't too hot on refinement, to be honest, there aren't many that are at that price point. The 450 or 1705 probably get closest to a more refined sound if £170-£200 is all you are willing to spend.

Everything is an opinion remember, even a reviewer is only expressing his/her opinion, the best judge is oneself :) If it sounds good to you, then trust your ears.

In my 'opinion', the 814 is a better buy than either the 450 or 1705, if you can get over its looks :):):)

8. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the detailed reply Kazman... I guess one of the main reasons of posting is that I was looking at the £200 mark but wanted some guidence as to whether it's worth doing the '£50 more gets a better model' route etc.

i.e. is there anything better up at the next price point (£250ish) that I'm going to notice as an improvement over the sub £200 units?

I'm no audiophile so I doubt I'd notice small differences... thoughts?

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
  10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    It is doubtful you will sense that much of an improvement. The next level would probably be around the £400 mark where you get some of the big boys, the Yamaha RXV750 springs to mind.

In the £200-£300 range there isn't much, unless you can source a Marantz SR5400, I think a few Richer Sounds stores still have these in stock, and that would deliver a very refined sound and should outperform all the above mentioned amps (bar the yamaha RXV750)

11. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Had a play with my mates Denon 1705 and decided it's not the amp for me... I'm looking for something with a little more 'wow' factor when your listening to it!

Having read all the reviews of the Yam DSP-750SE I think this is the one I'm going to go for... £380 seems to be the going rate :)

So, will this amp bring some wow factor to movies? Is that the best choice out there for upto £400?

Cheers
    Jon

12. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Tha Yammy gets good reviews; and is well received on here. However, if you are going to spend that kind of money (£400 region) then I recommend demo'ing a few. I, for instance, demo'd the Yam 650 retailing at £360 against a Harman Kardon AVR230 (also at £360) and the Sony 795. The Sony was admittedly £100 cheaper but I went for the HK in the end. The HK sounded good but it was the looks which clinched it for me.
    Another thing, I am no expert but even to my 'untrained' ears the difference in quality between £200 amps and £400 amps was very noticeable.