Having a sofa bed as your main bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsoyer

We're trying to sort out a lack of space problem and are considering giving the kids the bedrooms and us two sleep on a sofa bed down stairs.

Has anybody done anything like this or do you sleep on a sofa bed all the time? I can see there been some problems we'll have to get used too ie. sleeping times been different and the cats wanting to join us, having to pull out the bed every night etc.. and i'm concerned how comfy a sofa bed will be.

when i first met my wife she had a sofa bed in her bedroom, and have to say, its was bloody comfy :) not sure of how much/make , but goes to show you can find comy ones

shahedz

Distinguished Member
I had a metal Futon as my main bed for over 8 years. No problems. I loved it as it was, very , very firm. There's no springs at all in the mattress. However I wasn't pulling it and out every night. It was set up as a Bed and left like that in all the time I used it.

I think most sofa beds aren't supposed to be pulled in and out every night, but that could be the manufacturer covering themselves in case it breaks. We also had a pull out sofa bed and I have to say that wasn't very comfortable as a bed,

cmdrmarc

When I moved back in my parents for 3/4 months between Uni and getting my own place, I slept on a pull out sofa bed (ignoring how they'd managed to sell all my furniture within 4 weeks of me going to Uni!!). It was one of those trampoline-style bases with a foam mattress on top. It lasted about 2 months of constantly being pulled out and put away before it started to break. Didn't help that I stood on it to get out the room! But it was pretty comfortable.

fizl

I think you may have more problems with it being used as a sofa, in that generally they are expected to be for occasional use

Berties

Banned
agree, could use it for a couple of weeks but ongoing? I certainly wouldn't want to sleep in that all the time.

nerro

When we moved in to our first flat we thought it might be a good idea to get one of these so got a decent one from dfs.at first it was ok, but after a few months we got tired of setting the thing up every night and soon noticed that the mattress that it came with started getting squashed and thinned out until we could feel the metal bars of the frame through it.

Anyway, we still have it but its only used when guests are over. Nothing beats a proper bed with a decent mattress.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
Alternative option...... You can but bed frames that fold up flat against the wall with mattress and bedding in position. Suring the day you would see a lage cupboard which you then open to drop a proper bed down into position. Downside is needing floor space to drop the bed into.

oakie

I had a metal fold out one as my main bed for a while - to be honest it was pretty rubbish as a bed and pretty rubbish as a sofa in the end it dropped to bits.
Maybe a futon would be better?

SBT

Banned
When i first met my wife we lived at her parents house and slept on a sofa bed in their living room.Was ok for a while but soon became uncomfortable.We ended up buying two single mattresses,hiding them behind the sofa during the day and sleeping on them on the floor at night.Much more comfortable :thumbsup:

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Your main issues, as I see it it, are nothing to do with comfort but that twice daily you'll be faffing around with - and storing away somewhere - the sheet, quilt/blanket and a bunch of pillows. The room might also smell a bit foisty and you might suffer from four-wallitis not to mention square-eyeitis.

Jenn

Distinguished Member
Ikea do a day bed with a drawer at the bottom.
When closed it's a sofa (the seating being two single mattresses on top of each other). When you open the drawer, you slide one of the mattress on top and it makes a single bed.

You can then pick a mattress you like from Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50080315/

Available in dark wood finish too.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
We're trying to sort out a lack of space problem and are considering giving the kids the bedrooms and us two sleep on a sofa bed down stairs.

Has anybody done anything like this or do you sleep on a sofa bed all the time? I can see there been some problems we'll have to get used too ie. sleeping times been different and the cats wanting to join us, having to pull out the bed every night etc.. and i'm concerned how comfy a sofa bed will be.

Bunk beds for the kids, and look for a new place..

That's what I would do..

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
There was talk on Radio 2 about families becoming technically homeless when faced with this situation.

Is it rented accommodation OP?

tomsoyer

We own the house and the idea of putting the bed away every morning and making it every night does seem a pain. I'm wondering whether to do something with dinning room as we don't really use it but it is the thru fare for the kitchen.

Adams0211

RottenFox said:
Bunk beds for the kids, and look for a new place..

That's what I would do..

That's exactly what we did.

I'd definitely consider the dining room idea. Is that the only way into the kitchen? It would get on my nerves if my wife's friends were traipsing through my 'bedroom' to get to the kitchen for a cup of tea and a natter.

pandemic

Did for 10 years and still do when I visit my parents. Never caused me any problems and I actually prefer it to a soft bed.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
If you already have back problems, then unless you spend A LOT of money, a sofabed is definitely not a good idea (having experience with both a back problem, and a sofabed...lol)....

Is there any way you can partition the bedroom? If the kids can make do with a bunkbed, then just partition the room off so there is enough room for them to get in and out.....doesnt cost much to get some boarding and foam to help soundproof it in between....probably a lot less than a decent sofabed...lol

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Another idea which might work in some circumstances is to have a bedroom with all yer beds in - partitioned if you like - and move the space-hogging wardrobes into a seperate dressing room for all.

Jenn

Distinguished Member
When we were kids my brother and I had to share a bedroom for a few years.

When we were younger my mum had made our beds so they were high up with our desks underneath. One bed on each side of the room. That meant we had the whole middle of the room free and under the bed for the desks, shelving and toys. It worked quite well.

Then when we got a bit older they changed it so we had a 4ft tall partition in the middle of the room running from the window to about 3/4 of the room and they'd put a blind from the ceiling coming down to the partition so we could open it if we wished. Against the partition on each side we had futton style beds (low on the floor) with a shelf at the head for hifi/alarm clock, lamp. Then on either side of the window, next to the bed head were our desks. It worked quite well too as we had a little more privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published