Having a nightmare trying to play .mkv and .mp4 video files

nictu

Novice Member
Hi,
firstly my equipment:
Philips 42pfl7666t12
Panasonic dmp-bdt110
Humax hdr fox t2

it's old stuff I know but works fine, until I tried to play an mkv file from a usb stick (Toshiba 64Gb).
Basically, I cannot get .mp4 or .mkv files to play on any of this equipment, despite their specs indicating otherwise.

Aside; tried without success using vlc on windows/linux mint in an attempt to stream mkv/mp4 files over home network to tv.

So first scenario:
.mkv file onto exFAT Toshiba usb stick, plugged into Panasonic Bluray, Panasonic sees file, reads file, plays file but TV has a completely black screen.

2nd scenario:
Format another Toshiba usb to NTFS, Convert .mkv using vlc on windows 10 to .mp4 (H.264+mp3)
Plug this usb stick into philips tv, from tv use 'browse usb' option, tv sees file, can select file but tv will not play the film, I just get a blue line moving 'knight rider' style from left to right.

3rd scenario:
Dump .mp4 file onto humax, humax can see the file and play the film but get the error message that the audio is incompatible to get visuals but no sound.

The original .mkv file play without a hitch on my PC, but I'd live to see this film on my tv.
Can anybody help me get this file to play on my tv?

Many Thanks,
Nick.

Darbo

Hi,
firstly my equipment:
Philips 42pfl7666t12
Panasonic dmp-bdt110
Humax hdr fox t2

it's old stuff I know but works fine, until I tried to play an mkv file from a usb stick (Toshiba 64Gb).
Basically, I cannot get .mp4 or .mkv files to play on any of this equipment, despite their specs indicating otherwise.

Aside; tried without success using vlc on windows/linux mint in an attempt to stream mkv/mp4 files over home network to tv.

So first scenario:
.mkv file onto exFAT Toshiba usb stick, plugged into Panasonic Bluray, Panasonic sees file, reads file, plays file but TV has a completely black screen.

2nd scenario:
Format another Toshiba usb to NTFS, Convert .mkv using vlc on windows 10 to .mp4 (H.264+mp3)
Plug this usb stick into philips tv, from tv use 'browse usb' option, tv sees file, can select file but tv will not play the film, I just get a blue line moving 'knight rider' style from left to right.

3rd scenario:
Dump .mp4 file onto humax, humax can see the file and play the film but get the error message that the audio is incompatible to get visuals but no sound.

The original .mkv file play without a hitch on my PC, but I'd live to see this film on my tv.
Can anybody help me get this file to play on my tv?

Many Thanks,
Nick.
Might be something to do with file size and the speed of your USB stick, the blue knight rider light usually means it's loading up, a slow stick with a big file would make that last longer, just a suggestion.

nictu

Novice Member
Yes, I had the same thought, just a note I have tried convert the .mkv to a .ts(h.264+mp3) file, but I get sound from this and no video !! Thanks for your reply though.

nictu

Novice Member
Hoo - flipping - ray. Finally did it. Used vlc to convert .mkv to .ts(h.264+mp3), transferred .ts file from pc to Humax HDR Fox T2 over home network and it plays with sound.
Bit dismayed that the tv and the bluray player were so finicky over file types though.
Thanks all, hope this helps someone,
Nick.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hoo - flipping - ray. Finally did it. Used vlc to convert .mkv to .ts(h.264+mp3), transferred .ts file from pc to Humax HDR Fox T2 over home network and it plays with sound.
Bit dismayed that the tv and the bluray player were so finicky over file types though.
Thanks all, hope this helps someone,
Nick.

None of them were file types. The bit after the . is a container not a file type.

.MKV is the Matroska Video contaiiner. It easily converted to a .MP4 container. The contents aren't recoded just re-packaged.

Get yourself a free copy of AVIdemux.

The HDR-FOX-T2 is designed to record and view UK Freeview content both HD and SD.

That means it can decode all the video and audio compression codecs that these use.

It happens to bundle them all into a transport stream container. It can of course replay anything on usb that matches this,

Different containers are able to include

At least one video Compression codec

At least one or more audio compression codecs.

Additional tracks to add Subtitles, Audio Description audio etc.

.ts s is transport stream container. Clearly the HDR-Fox-T2 can handle mpeg1 layer 3 audio and as both native video compression codecs are used by Freeview-HD

HD channels H264/AVC

SD channels mpeg2

What you should have done is download a free copy of Mediainfo.

Select view - tree and export the analysis to a text file.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom