Having a clearout, alternatives to binning the lot.

paulr

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm having a huge clearout of stuff i don't use.

Clothes.......charity shop....sorted.
Valuable items (ie alloys, laptop) Ebay.

Now the "not sure" bit.

Loads of sporting autobiographies. There are loads on ebay, and the time and effort is hardly worth it for what is probably £1 profit per book.

Old technology. Pioneer DV717, top quality dvd player, now obsolete. Go for around £20 on ebay. Again, not worth the effort. Freeview boxes (now built it) Pioneer analogue radio separate, 15 inch pc monitor, and a few other items as such. Not worth the effort to Ebay, but its against my nature to bin them.

Any thoughts.

So far i've thought of listing it on facebook, or a list at work. Freecycle, not sure, i prefer to help people i know.

The books could go to charity? The rest is hard to shift .

Older Freeview boxes struggled to handle the higher bandwidth now allocated to Digital, so you might find they are just Bookends now unless they are quite recent. Rather than checking them out I'd be tempted to just recycle them straight into the technology skip at the dump.

depends on really - do you want money from them..? - when you say a quid's profit on a book, I assume you mean that's how much you'll get per book, not as in you paid x amount and after ebay fees etc you'll clear 1 pound profit..?

how much do you need the cash, how lazy are you?

depends on really - do you want money from them..? - when you say a quid's profit on a book, I assume you mean that's how much you'll get per book, not as in you paid x amount and after ebay fees etc you'll clear 1 pound profit..?

how much do you need the cash, how lazy are you?

To sell one book on ebay, incl postage and packing= 20 mins work. For £1 profit thats £3 an hour. Not lazy, just not worth the effort.

Also i'd love to ditch my DVD's. Is there a way (i don't think there is btw) to "digitize".

To sell one book on ebay, incl postage and packing= 20 mins work. For £1 profit thats £3 an hour. Not lazy, just not worth the effort.

yep, perhaps lazy was the wrong word to use... :)

maybe check for some 2nd hand book shops and give them a ring..?

car boot sale?

Also i'd love to ditch my DVD's. Is there a way (i don't think there is btw) to "digitize".

There is, but it takes a certain amount of time and effort and you're not supposed to sell the DVDs on afterwards :) Although it would be naive to pretend people don't.

Oh yes, many ways, I use Makemkv to generate MKVs, its free and quite fast, but just makes a copy, no compressing, so if a film is 5Gig on disc, then you need 5Gig hard drive space for it. It can strip out all those pesky ads, piracy warnings, trailers, features, etc.
Blu-rays are the killer weighing in at 20-30 Gig per disc
Takes about 10-20 minutes per DVD disc (depends on the read speed of your drive), subsequent compression takes a while (depends on the processing power of your PC). Many folks use Handbrake which is also free, but I don't bother as storage is cheap.

View via VLC, or use XBMC, again both free.

There are a few guides on the forums for DVD ripping etc.
Sticky threads here for example...
http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/

As IG says, it can take a while, but you can shove a disc in a drive, set it off and go and do something else, you don't have to sit and watch it working away.

Bin and be done!

Tis what I do. I really can't figure anyone that hangs on to this **** tbh ;)

tempted to say bin it.....though tis soon be the weather for ...dear i say it the car boot
....you'll be amazed what crap people buy at these things!

going to have to do one myself soon

Freecycle is just a round-the-houses way of selling it on eBay anyway except you don't get the money for it, your freecycler does. Only bonus is that you don't have to pay fees :) I suspect there are a lot of FC mopper-uppers in my area and everything goes pretty much straightaway.

Any techy stuff might only be worth £20 here and there but get five of them and that's a ton. If you really want rid and aren't arsed about the money then offer them all up for free on here in the classifeds (linked in my sig).

Mike.

just rip them. plenty of ripping software available. you will need to decide which format to rip to and what your players can handle (MKV etc)

i would just take any other stuff to local charity shop.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom