HAVEN'T USED MY 5YR OLD SKYBOX FOR 2YRS & FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON IT WONT WORK!! :(

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BADA55, Mar 22, 2005.

1. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I own a couple of SKY boxes and my 5 year old Pace hasnt been used for 2 years but was stored properly away.

I should point out that I am using the old viewing card in it which is all blue on the top with the words in white viewing card / SKY DIGITAL ,and ,insert this way>...

I cannot get the box to give me a signal quality bar...it currently reads nothing. The signal strength bar is fine and shows 80% ish. My other box worked fine on this dish but I have given it to my mate to use for 2 weeks without checking this box first :(

I read somewhere to disconnect the mains lead and hold down the back-up button while then replacing the mains lead once more with it still held down and await all the indicator light to light up. This worked ok but it went into scanning mode and didnt come out of it so I had to switch it off.

The next course of action was to have a chat with a Sky engineer. He told me to go into settings and then while highlighting the picture option press 01 and enter to bring up other options. I was told then to make sure m,y telephone line was connected up and select the New Installation option and start new installation. Once I did this all seemed ok untill a message on the screen said 'NO DEFAULT TRANSPONDER FOUND' and then it asks if you want to change the settings ? What on earth do I do from here? OR am I wasting my time and its possible the box has decided to die?

I have also been told from a friend who recons that I wouldnt get a picture with my old card anyways and I need to send off for a new one.

Thanks for reading and I hope you may have some good news for me :)

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should get a reading without a card - is it possible your dish is out of alignment or the cable is faulty?

3. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The dish is fine...I tried it with my other box before I lent it to my mate and yes the signal and picture were AOK although it had an up to date card in that box :(

Anyone else with any inside knowledge in how to sort this out before I condemn it to the bin? :(

4. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had it with an Amstrad digi-box that was left disconnected for a month or so..

Apparently it was a common fault with them, so I binned it and got a better one....

5. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be fooled by good signal strength as that only means you are receiving a signal from a satellite which could be any satellite in the region of astra! The no read out of signal quality and the no default transponder found normally point towards the fact that you may be slightly off the astra satellite. To check you have the correct transponder hit the services button then press 4,0,1,0 and then select. choose option 2. my readings are.....

freq 11.778
    pol v
    symbol 27.5
    fec 2/3

If those are set correct then the box should work! By the way you do not have to have a card in the box as you can still recieve bbc channels without one. The type of card wouldn't matter unless you were trying to view a scrambled channel and if the box was working a message on screen would tell you this anyhow?

6. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yeah my setting are the same as yours...as I said I tried my other skybox out just a few days ago and the dish is working fine.

So it looks like the box if faulty then? Shame really coz it only got 3 years use and I thought Pace were one of the most reliable?