Haven't got the faintest

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Alex Lake, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Alex Lake

Alex Lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Trying to choose an AV receiver for our new extension. It's a big room at about 60sqm (living, kitchen, dining all in one) although AV is not going to be getting pride of place - so speakers will be in-wall. I also doubt that we'll often crank it up to full volume.

In terms of budget, definitely less than £1,000, but that gives quite a range of options... eg. From the Denon 2312 at £400 (Richer Sounds), 3312 at £749 (Weymouth) up to the Pioneer LX75 at £1000 (BestBuy*).

I'll be pairing this with a media centre PC, DNLA, A normal TV and a projector (for occasional use only). I'd quite like airplay, too. I *think* that access to iPlayer/LoveFilm/whatever would be via the PC, so perhaps I don't need all the latest features, but I'm not sure, and it may be nice not to have to rely on that!
    [​IMG]
    The speakers will be mounted in the chimney breast in bottom-right hand corner of the plan. Projector will likely be mounted on the kitchen wall above the units (so would be a very long run of cable, perhaps as much as 15m - is that viable?).

Any suggestions on how I might narrow the search?

*Actually, I think I'd be reluctant to buy that from them unless it was under £900 due to concerns over returnability.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. Alex Lake

Alex Lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a couple of extra thoughts:
    - Usability is really important (although I suspect 90% of TV viewing will be without it turned on at all)
    - I've already got some of the speakers which are Linn Sekrit LS6000 (4 ohm) for front L&R, and a B&W CWM800 (8ohm) for centre. Hope the different impedance won't confuse the receiver's autosetup mode (which it must have)

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    4 ohms is really a little low but should be OK if you get one of the higher models you are looking at for receivers. Personally I would not have mismatched front speakers as you really need them to be a good tonal match which is often best achieved by getting the same model/make across the front.
    15m cable to the projector should be fine if not you may need a signal booster but these are not that expensive.
    Since you are spending a reasonable amount of money on the system why would you not use it for all viewing? The sound quality will be much better than the TV speakers so why subject yourself too the poor sound from the TV? If usability is a concern then just get yourself a Logitech Harmony all in one remote. They are easy to set up and even easier to use with one button switch on of all equipment.

4. Alex Lake

Alex Lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you think, then, that a 2312 would struggle to drive 4 ohms? How about a 3312? I guess one of the problems with built-ins is that it's much harder to change them!
    And it would be impossible to meaningfully audition their harmony not in a wall, I presume.

I think that listening to ALL TV via an AV system would probably be "too much", particularly as my wife is a bit of a technophobe (but even for me).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  5. Member 569079

Member 569079

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Most AV receivers have a setting in the menu to allow you to tell it the impedance of your speakers, so that it can drive them safely and within it's power rating.
    Seeing as how you will need two HDMI outputs from your AV receiver, this aspect should help to narrow the field. certainly none of the £400-600 models I am aware of have dual HDMI outputs.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Why would using the AV reciever be 'too much'? As I said get a Harmony remote and it will be just like using the TV speakers in terms of complication etc.
    With in walls I would really go for the same make model across the front since if they do not match well it will be harder to replace/change. Why can you not get Linn centre or B&W L/R? If they have not been instlled I am sure you can swap them. Personally I would probably get the B&W L/R as they are higher impedance so will put less strain on the AV receiever.

7. Alex Lake

Alex Lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got them secondhand from someone on the forum.