Haven't got a clue what to buy. Please help

edmunds123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I could really do with some advice before I make the plunge. I want a 55" led tv but haven't got a clue what to get. I want to spend as little as possible but have a budget up to about £1300

I have seen an lg 55lm620 for 900 at RS
CRAMPTON AND MOORE have an lg 55lm670 for £1219
Currys have an lg 55lm760 for £1500

I quite like the idea of lg because from the little experience I have of active glasses I find them quite uncomfortable and get a headache quite quickly.

From what I can see the only main differences are the refresh rate of these 3 tv's. all the gimmicky stuff and toys and wii style remotes doesn't bother me.

At the moment I am edging towards the 670. The mrs likes the bezel more :)

Any advice, pointers or recommendations etc would be extremely appreciated. Also is currys the best place to buy from. they seem a little cheaper than RS on some models and are much closer to me. Going to look at a few tonight and hopefully pick one up the weekend.

Cheers

Jay.

Thread moved.

When you got a headache were you in a store with other sets?
I get a bad headache if I view active on a shop floor but no problems at home, its the flicker from other sets and the store lighting. At home I watch 3D with just a back light on and Important happy fir hours. Recently discovered my main light is fine too, flickers a tad if I look directly at it closely, but no problem when watching the screen.

Whsts the set going to be used for?.

I'm going to be used for a mix of hd TiVo,
Blurays and a fair bit off call of duty on ps3.

The mrs has epilepsy and she finds active quite straining but I suppose if there is a much better quality of picture over passive I would consider an active tv.

My main aim is to get the best picture quality I can for as little money as possible :).

What would you recommend looking at. I've got a 40" LCD Samsung at the moment and swore of never have another. Settings don't stay the same and it constantly flickers back to standard settings after 5 minutes. Does my nut in

Another TV you may want to look at is the Panasonic ET5, this is also passive 3D (it actually uses an LG screen) and seems to get a fairly good reception around here.

With regards to the best place to buy from, Richer sounds and John Lewis are always mentioned as two of the best. Curry's IMO tend to be quite expensive on most models, and onlu offer a 1 year warranty, with RS you get a 5yr warranty on most TV (sometimes they charge a 10% fee for a 5 yr warranty, but you can haggle), and JL offer a free 5yr warranty on all their tvs.

Last edited:
If they sell the same model, John Lewis will price match Currys (instore price not online) and you'll get the warranty and good aftersales

Thanks for all your help. Been back to currys tonight for a look.
Was comparing the lg 55lm670' lg 760, Sony hx8 and Samsung 7000 thingy with the cam on top. Can't justify the Samsung price tag. It's just under £2000.

The Sony looks lovely with the speaker base but that will be removed for wall mounting, which just leaves the 2 lgs.

Apparently for only £100 more the 760 is much better, higher refresh rate apparently so it looks like that will be the one I go for.

Let me know ASAP if I'm making a massive mistake. Going to pick it up tomorrow :)

Cheers guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom