Have you used the test tones on yor AV Amplifier?

Have you used the test tones in your AV Amplifier to set it up?

• Yes

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • What test tones?

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • No, someone else set up the amp for me

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I used other test tones (from a generator or DVD)

Votes: 9 10.1%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Have you used the test tones built into your AV amplifier to help you set it up?

Every time- even though I got given one of those anoraktastic calibrator DVD's a while back.

Yes, but only when setting the amp up initially. Don't really bother with them now!

The TAG's test/setup facilities,plus the TMREQ wizard(thanks to John Mulcahy for his continuing work on that) are superb,and it really shouldnt be set up any other way than using the built-in software and a PC if possible.

Have used the test tones on all three AV Amps I've had over the years. However, this year I bought a sound pressure level meter to help with the setting up and it did help. I used to use just use my ears to balance the sound. I'd recommend either buying one of these SPL meters, or get an amp that has one with it.

Cheers

Andy

I'm looking for more answers where someone else has set the amp up for you. Those people fulfilling the best potential from their systems will have had them calibrated properly by a professional (with acoustic treatment installed where appropriate).

Stuart Wright said:
I'm looking for more answers where someone else has set the amp up for you. Those people fulfilling the best potential from their systems will have had them calibrated properly by a professional (with acoustic treatment installed where appropriate).

Right...I see what you're getting at.

Probably doesnt apply so well to PC based systems such as the TAG/Meridian/Tact ones where a series of frequency sweeps and an RTA plus PC calibrated digital filters iron out all the problems!

yes, a number of times due to room changes and the fact that they sound better than most of the stuff in the charts to :D

Gary

Stuart Wright said:

I'm afraid my setup isn't that grand where I've thought it's worth someone setting it up professionally. Maybe when I upgrade for HD...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom