Answered Have you stopped watching trailers to enjoy films more?

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debate with my Mrs last night on the new Black Panther trailer on whether i liked the look of it. I said i've stopped watching trailers as they tend to spoil things in terms of giving away too much info, especially if it's a 2 minute trailer and she thought i was weird!

I haven't watched a trailer for a movie i really want to see for quite a while now. It used to be one of the things i looked forward too but going into a film totally blind as to who's in it and not knowing to much of a plot makes it a little more exciting.

I guess it started with Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens. As much as i really wanted too i never watched the trailer nor read any threads about it and it made it all the more enjoyable so i made a decision to not watch or read about a movie i want to see.

So i guess i'm asking is it something that you've also done or does it make it part of the film experience to watch the trailer and build up to the actual movie?

Yep, probably started avoiding trailers for films that cater to my tastes over a year ago. Teasers normally tell me enough.

If it's a film I'm definitely going to watch then I avoid them like the plague. I don't mind looking at them if I know little or nothing about the film.

Bri

Glad i'm not the only one then :)

I admit i've even avoided teaser trailers including the new EpVIII one, i don't even go in that thread in the sub forum above!

AVF ticked me off last year when CA: Civil War thread had the huge spoiler added about Spiderman being in it. I would have loved to have been totally surprised with that one.

I've also gave up on reviews of films of movies i'm kinda interested in. I'll make up my own mind on whether i like a movie or not and not have someone else judgement used as a barometer to how good it is.
Seen in the past reviews of movies that were not good yet i enjoyed it.

This year has loads of 'Blockbusters' i'm really keen to see/seen. From Logan to Blade Runner and i've avoided all trailers including teasers and you know what? It's been a very enjoyable experience so far :thumbsup:

Still watch all the trailers.
By the time I've finally got to see the film I've most likely forgotten what was in the trailer anyway.

So I don't avoid them at all.

AVF ticked me off last year when CA: Civil War thread had the huge spoiler added about Spiderman being in it. I would have loved to have been totally surprised with that one.

I was tamping fuming raging at that. The poster couldn't even understand the problem either. :mad:

I haven't watched a trailer for a film I am going to see since Star Trek Into Darkness. I don't read reviews, I generally avoid the threads, I don't look at thumbnails, posters or even the side of buses. I will walk out of the cinema for special films, like Star Wars and read articles on my phone during the rest.

I have been proved right time and time again that this is the best course of action for me. Rogue 1 and the Hulk Buster in Ultron were superb. I love it when actors turn up and they are a total surprise.

I may possibly watch a trailer if the film is a total unknown but generally a few seconds to get the gist then turn it off. I find a short synopsis better. I did watch the Black Panther but I really wasn't sure if I was going and the trailer confirmed I would not be.

I don't get why @lucasisking @Sam Crow you would even watch a teaser of a film you know you are going to see.

^ Again just to whet the whistle and build anticipation, especially if its something I'm 'probably-going-to-see-but-not-that-excited-yet' such as Black Panther.

Teasers don't give away the plot, and the footage shown is usually miniscule enough not to spoil anything for the film. Often it's footage made for the trailer that doesn't even make it to the final film.

I agree zero exposure is best, but (rather like alcohol) can't resist the odd indulgence here and there.

I've all but forgotten the teaser for Spider-Man Homecoming (from yonks ago) and have avoided all trailers since. Have no idea what to expect from the movie.

Yes I do my best to avoid trailers - they always give far too much away nowadays.

I tend to watch the first one to see I'm interested in the film and then stop if it peaks my interest in seeing it.

I've tried (with mixed success) to avoid trailers for films and TV shows as I prefer to not know what is going on in advance and enjoy the surprise of an unexpected plot twist or cameo appearance.

I don't mind the brief Teaser spots, but my experience is that the longer the trailer, the worse the film. I've sat through trailers for films (which I'm not interested in) that pretty much show the entire plot and most of the key scenes. I keep my eyes closed for films I'm interested in and try to ignore the dialog (which is often easier said that done).

The film promoters face a dilemma when trying to persuade people to see a film if they aren't familiar with the material on which it's based and/or people who won't go to see a film unless they know that they'll like it by effectively having already seen it (I have a couple of friends in that category). I guess they believe that the die-hard fans will go to see the film regardless, so we end up with spoiler laden trailers :(

I avoid trailers for the most part. I think it's a lost art to produce a decent trailer. Watch this Alien trailer. Gives nothing away but leaves you wanting to see it....

Trailers these day are usually just full of short glimpses of the most action packed scenes.
Doesn't really give anything away I think other than making the movie look more exciting than it probably is ;)
This trailer though gives absolutely nothing away.

Trailers nearly always seem to show the big explosion at the end these days, so I try to resist watching them
Reviewers seem to see different films to me these days, so I try to avoid reading too many reviews also.

I'm with you OP.

A teaser to get a feel for it, maybe a spoiler free review when it's out, other than that not interested in watching the main parts of the movie in bite-sized chunks before I go to the cinema.

I avoid them as well.

Ruined to many films for me in more ways than t one. Sometimes giving away to much that I can work out what's going to happen and sometimes misleading by putting all the best bits in a trailer.

Yes I'm completely fed up with trailers, particularly that awful Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice one which gave away the entire film, left no surprises whatsoever.
Will watch teaser and that's it in most cases.

I definitely avoid them for films I want to see (same for videogames). I will read about who's in them though. I even go as far as to close my eyes and put fingers in my ears at the cinema [emoji50]

Just imagine if moments like these had been saved for the cinema rather than revealed in the trailer...

One of the joys of Rogue One was that they saved so much for the movie, eg the Rebel Fleet, Darth Vader among others. That film knocked my socks off.

Trailers these day are usually just full of short glimpses of the most action packed scenes.
Doesn't really give anything away I think other than making the movie look more exciting than it probably is ;)
This trailer though gives absolutely nothing away.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Must watch that again. Oh I just did.

Yes - If I have any interest in a movie I avoid trailers like the plague.
The last few years it seem sto have become the norm to show the film in almost it's entirety during the trailers. Or in some cases only the good parts...

No

That said. I don't watch that main trailers anyway.

Never really watched trailers for movies.

No trailers for me either. Some trailers give away the entire arc of the movie, there are a few that have even included the final scene!

All I need to know about a movie is a) is the director any good, and b) does Mark Kermode like it. If one of those tests is passed I will probably watch it, if it passes both, it's a must watch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom