Have you seen the new Cambridge Stream Magic 6 V2?

quadnutter

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that Cambridge Audio are producing the upgraded Stream Magic 6 imaginatively called the Stream Magic 6 V2. If you google you can find this on their website.

Stream Magic 6 V2 | Cambridge Audio

However, I have checked Richer Sounds and up to the date of this post, I cannot see anything on there yet. I wonder when they will sell it?

There are quite a few improvements over the Stream Magic 6 (although I wonder if they will improve the crashing iOs and Android App). Most importantly it will now stream over Ethernet 24/192 Hi Res music.

Looks tempting. I just wish I had waited till now to buy it, as I bought the current model, and whilst it is excellent it will not stream 24/192k over Ethernet.

Latest I heard was 'end of summer 2014' - in this country that should be first week of May...

I wouldn't get too hung up on the first version not playing 192/24 over Ethernet - the very few tracks I have at that resolution can go on a USB thumb device for playback if I feel the need - obviously those with a far larger collection might think differently.

I have (approximately) 12,546 ;) times as many FLAC files in 16/44 -vs- 192 - I suspect you're in the same boat so fret not.

The app is another matter altogether but there are work arounds for that too with third party apps filling the niche.

The V1 can still be sourced for just over £400 (yes really!) - it's a personal thing naturally but I can't justify double the price for a (possibly) improved app and 192 support over Ethernet - that will be a moot point once stocks of the V1 finally run out of course.

I was dead lucky. I bought a SM6 v1 back in May this year from Richer Sounds. It went wrong (display corrupted) after a few of months so I took it back, and RS just gave me a new one but it was the v2! What a result!

Well done you got a great result there. I've now bought a pioneer n50 and a chord qute EX DAC and have relegated my Magic 6 to the kitchen system. I have had enough of the glitch with the app. The Pioneer app is solid and the sound through the Chord EX DAC sounds excellent.

That's interesting. I've borrowed a chord qute ex and although the presentation is different, I wouldn't say it's much better than the CASM6.
I'm also finding the new "lite" app and the v2 SM6 seem to be far more solid although I've only had the SM6 going for about two days now. Time will tell....
BTW, I don't know if the v2 should sound better, but I can't hear any sonic differences between the v1 and v2

Last edited:
£3 for bubbleupnp solves all the issues with the CA app (and is a damn sight better than Pioneers effort too).

I'll take a look but to be honest, the new CA app on my nexus 10 is doing everything I want.

That was aimed more at Quadnutter - seems strange to replace a media player containing an excellent DAC with another media player + DAC because of an easily-bettered app.

P.s, I think the difference between V1 and V2 sM6's are detailed elsewhere in this forum but the main change was to allow for 192/24 via Ethernet - I haven't read of any changes to DAC or analogue sections.

Sorry Legzr1, I miss understood but I do empathise with quadnutter. With all the issues I've had with servers,apps and streamers, I was ready to throw in the towel and go back to a CDP. At the end of the day, I just want to listen to my music. The only time I start fiddling with computer stuff is when I've a lot of time on my hands.

Believe me, I get that!

Luckily I came across some excellent advice from a couple of members on here and elsewhere who'd gone through all the teething troubles and passed on great tips.

I followed the 'instructions' using the recommended ripping software, storage solution, renderer and control app/software - the SM6 is an excellent bit of kit and is only hamstrung by an average control app - bubbleupnp takes care of that now.

Legzr1, does the SM6 V1 support gapless playback when used with a gapless supporting UPnP/DLNA control point like the excellent BubbleUPnP app you're using?

Well, I've had an interesting afternoon with the SM6. I moved my system to a different room and changed the speakers for a pair of B&W PM1's I've recently acquired. Earlier I said I didn't think the chord qute ex DAC was much better than the analogue output of the SM6, but I've changed my mind. The Chord DAC makes the PM1's rock!

I am really pleased with the sound of the Chord Qute EX DAC. Sounding brilliant.

I've just downloaded bubbleUPnP. It is excellent. I've only got the free version at the moment. What does the £3 extra get you?

The free version of bubble limits you to around 20 songs per playlist I think. Definitely worth paying the £3!

Plus the warm glow that you've paid the price of a pint for something you only realise is a must have when the battery goes dead on your tablet and you're forced to use 'other' apps ;)

I agree. BubbleuPnP is very good and I'm using the licensed version now.

Yes and there are other benefits too worth paying for

Looking forward to the new N50a. The N50 was great but glad I waited before buying. The N50 was awesome, apart from the joke app !

Hi TB303,
I have spent a couple of weeks listening to the Hugo and it's pretty good for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom