• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Have you infected anyone with the HD-DVD craze...?

awink1

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

I have been an early follower of the HD-DVD craze and have "infected" at least 8 or 9 work mates to buy into it even after the "war" was lost.

All of them buying HD-DVDs like mad men and loving it.

What are your experiences?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Yep, about 6 in work, although that's nothing to the amount of Bluray converts I have influenced :D

Ralphy1981

Nope. All my friends and family are cheapskates and think i'm mad paying what I do on Blu Rays.

I can justify HD DVD's now cos their only £2.99 on HMV :smashin:

None of my friends are into home cinema though and all have old CRT tv's with Matsui DVD players :(

KUBBY

Matsui dvd players eh? Now theres sophistication for you.
My friends are pestering me to explain this new fangled Vhs thingy.

But,no. I get puzzled looks and some mocking but I dont care.If my Blu-ray owning mates are happy paying £15-20 a disk then thats there loss.

KH

ChrisWV10

Strangely enough... my technophobic mate decided to replace his aging 21"crt with a 50" plasma (after I suggested a 42) and then added an EP30 without too much encouragement. This was before Toshiba abandoned the format. However he refuses to buy any hd-dvds, even at current bargain prices saying that dvd looks great.... :rolleyes:

Ralphy1981

To mere mortals, upscaled DVD looks superb when their used to crappy DVD players connected via scart.

My friends are blown away by Blu Ray but then go off the subject when they ask about price :rolleyes:

Another joe public comment is ''I thought that tv is HD, the picture looks the same as mine''.

You need a HD source to show off the resolution :rolleyes::suicide:

SteelHoarder

Haven't infected anyone ( not with HD-DVD anyway ) :devil:

Anyway , what if I infected 5 mates and there were only 2 copies of a really rare HD-DVD from a certain shop that I wanted to get ? I'd be gutted if they had got there first and would have to start making plans to burgle their house or bump them off ! ( better just to keep the secret all to myself - the precious is mine I tell you - mine - all mine AND WE WANTS IT ALL FOREVER ) :devil:

john59

Haven't infected anyone ( not with HD-DVD anyway ) :devil:

Anyway , what if I infected 5 mates and there were only 2 copies of a really rare HD-DVD from a certain shop that I wanted to get ? I'd be gutted if they had got there first and would have to start making plans to burgle their house or bump them off ! ( better just to keep the secret all to myself - the precious is mine I tell you - mine - all mine AND WE WANTS IT ALL FOREVER ) :devil:
no its nmine i tell yer, MINE:devil::devil::devil:

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
managed to get 2 "infected"!! One pre and the other post- format war conclusion! The pre-format war guy has since bought a PS3 as he feels he was "betamaxed". The post format guy has bought just about every HD DVD going at bargain prices!!!...and he's loving it! Its great for me as I have 2 folks at work I can swap discs with!!

Last edited:

awink1

Distinguished Member
managed to get 2 "infected"!! One pre and the other post- format war conclusion! The pre-format war guy has since bought a PS3 as he feels he was "betamaxed". The post format guy has bought just about every HD DVD going at bargain prices!!!...and he's loving it! Its great for me as I have 2 folks at work I can swap discs with!!

I know the feeling :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom